Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering how these cars drive without power steering; and my A/C clutch doesn't work right anyway.
I've heard of people running with an unbelted alternator for the sake of efficiency, but I'm not willing to risk running without the alt.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm just wondering how these cars drive without power steering; and my A/C clutch doesn't work right anyway.
I've heard of people running with an unbelted alternator for the sake of efficiency, but I'm not willing to risk running without the alt.

Any Ideas?
[/b]
On my tec it was very hard to take out the ac compressor and i did it 3 times. I suggest just taking out the fuse for the clutch then taking out the whole compressor. But if you are putting new one in set aside a whole weekend to do it.

Your car will not run right or long without an alternator. So keep it

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
these cars are no fun to run without working power steering and i see you are in mn so ac would be good thing to have cause it takes moisture out of the air in defrost mode without your windows will be very foggy in the winter

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I forgot about the A/C being used for the defroster.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I've shredded a belt before and had to drive across town with no PS, doable yes but no fun at all

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Shut off the motor while the car is moving and try to steer.

Make sure your insurance is up to date first though.......

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Hypermiling :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I drove mine without PS this morning because it died on the way to church. Not fun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess thats out.

Next question...
Anyone know if our cars have a fuel-cut mode?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes they do. There is a strategy called Coasting Fuel Shut Off. Pretty lame with OEM tuning. I adjust this to be a lot more aggressive in my tuning.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sense flames licking at my pant legs, but I'm going to throw this out in the open anyway...
The Geo guys like to install kill switches for their fuel injectors. If I put one in it would only be used for coasting in 'D' and '1', not overdrive, because the tranny's pump must remain powered, and I can bump-start in 'D' and '1'

I'm thinking a momentarily open switch so that as soon as I let go of the switch, the engine starts again, incase I need to pull away from a dangerous situation.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MPG

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
I agree with Paul that the factory programming for decel fuel cut is pretty lame from the factory, but it does 100% switch off the injectors when coasting with RPM over around 1700 RPM of so. That is the same as putting in a "kill switch"

·
Registered
223 Posts
On a slightly related note, since mine died yesterday I obviously need to replace it.
There's an LKQ parts pull 2 miles away from my house. They have genIIIs in great abundance, but not so many genIVs. Will a PS pump from a genIII (vulcan) work on a genIV?
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yes they do. There is a strategy called Coasting Fuel Shut Off. Pretty lame with OEM tuning. I adjust this to be a lot more aggressive in my tuning.
[/b]
I would like to hear more about this. Is this why I have engine braking in OD when I slow down under 40 MPH? Is this why it jerks a little bit when I ease back on the gas after coasting?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It works a lot better in OD. Stock it rarely is active in 4th, maybe when going downhill and coasting.

There are air adders too that can be trimmed to cause more engine braking. Plus you can keep the TC locked longer.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
On a slightly related note, since mine died yesterday I obviously need to replace it.
There's an LKQ parts pull 2 miles away from my house. They have genIIIs in great abundance, but not so many genIVs. Will a PS pump from a genIII (vulcan) work on a genIV?
Thanks guys! [/b]
Depends.

1. You can use a Duratec pump on a Vulcan, but not the other way 'round.

2. I you have a returnless fuel system, than only a returnless pump will work. All Gen 3 Tauri had return lines, and at some point the Gen 4's went to a returnless system. You can tell a returnless from a return system by the fact that a returnless system only has one fuel line going to the fuel rail, and a return system has two.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> On a slightly related note, since mine died yesterday I obviously need to replace it.
Thanks guys! [/b]
Depends.

1. You can use a Duratec pump on a Vulcan, but not the other way 'round.

2. I you have a returnless fuel system, than only a returnless pump will work. All Gen 3 Tauri had return lines, and at some point the Gen 4's went to a returnless system. You can tell a returnless from a return system by the fact that a returnless system only has one fuel line going to the fuel rail, and a return system has two.
[/b][/quote]

I think he is referring to a power steering pump... :dunno:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts