Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Anyone Changed A Fuel Level Sensor?

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dant98 
#1 ·
Some of you are aware that my car had a problem where the fuel guage gets stuck just below 1/4 tank. It's rather anoying but beyond that it also is a problem when you want to keep the fuel level at around 1/4 tank without running out... like at a track.

The problem began when I got a used fuel tank/pump to replaced my damaged tank. The tank is great and the fuel pump hasn't failed yet (knock on wood), but I found out the guage sticks when I actually ran out of gas (the folks at Norwalk last year can tell you about that).

So anyway, I don't think the guage itself is the problem. Since the reading is correct above 1/4 tank, I don't think it's the wiring. I think it's the sensor unit itself. I was just wondering if someone has replaced one before or has pictures of the inside of the fuel tank that would help me figure out how to do this. And if someone knows how I can buy the level sensor by itself, please do speak up. I think it's normall sold with the sending unit or something.

-Dan

#2 ·
I recently had the same problem and actually ran out of gas. My car did the same exact thing and the it was the FUEL LEVEL SENSOR like you presume. I can't tell you how to fix it, got mine done under warranty at the dealer, but if you got it done at a dealer it would probably run around $220, that's the cost that was paid of by my warranty plan. GOOD LUCK.

P.S.

I think they do sell the sensor separately

#3 ·
I had a 1988 Topaz, and I had to replace the fuel level sender thing..

The pump, and the sender was all in the actuall gas tank..

here is what happened when I did mine

1st try. I dropped the gas tank, replaced it, put it back up under the car.. The next day I went to fill up at a gas station.. Well, I noticed that I was pumping for along time.. then I looked down, and I saw a river of gas coming out from under my car <_< . I forgot to put a gasket on there..

2nd Try.. Dropped the tank, put the gasket in there.. noticed the pump wasnt working.. I fotgot to plug it back in

3rd Try. Dropped the tank, and FINALLY got everything right..

but if the Taurus has the sender in the tank, it should be like that.. Pop it out, pop one in..

edit: the sender and pump totaled to be about $90. but that was for a 88 Topaz..

I would do it myself.. The gas tank is held on there with 2 or 3 straps.. you unbolt them, and the gas tank falls out.. At least on a Topaz

#4 ·
Sounds like a doable weekend problem. Are there things I have to disconnect (beside presuiably the battery) before I drop the tank? I figure all I need to do is run it down to under 1/4 tank and the thing should be managable? Maybe I'll call the dealer and get a quote from the parts guys for just the Fuel level Sensor.

-Dan

#5 ·
#7 ·
I'm a pretty strong guy... Besides... the whole point was I don't know what the fuel level is below 1/4 tank anyway

The ford service CD doesn't have a section for "Fuel Level Sensor". They have how to remove the fuel tank (including releaving pressure on the fuel system/ fuel rail?) and they have a section for removing the Fuel Pump Assembly. I know it mentions to be careful not to damage the float when removing it... Maybe the fuel pump assembly has the fuel sending unit on it?

It also shows using a special tool to remove the fuel pump from the tank. I think they called it a lock ring tool or something? It looked like a bottle cap with a handle that I assume has teeth that fit into groves on the tank so you can unscrew the assembly.

-Dan

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.