Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2002 duratec engine with 3k on it for $500. I currently have a vulcan, just wanted to know if anyone has ever done this swap, or if anyone knows how hard it would be? plus how much more performance do u get with a duratec compared to a vulcan. Oh, and i currently have a 2001 vulcan with about 40k on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The swap has never been done (usually to the high cost of a 'tec engine) but from what I know it is completely possible to do. I know you're looking at 60 more horsepower from the swap, and an overall more powerfuly designed engine. It'd definatley be noticible.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I'f you're going to buy the duratec, why not do some work to it before you drop it in a car. Maybe look into the headswap with the svt contour or something. Then once you've built it up, why not drop the motor into a lighter car. maybe a probe, or if you really want to go fast, rip out the seats and put it in the back of a little ford festiva or geo metro or something really tiny and more importantly CHEAP. That thing would HAUL.

That way you can keep your vulcan as a daily drivers or a parts getter for when you're building up your budget "big block" sleeper.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
im with mike on this one. ur car has low miles, so why swap out the motor now? u could mod it, drop it in a g3-g4 with a bad engine for pretty cheap. and that way dont have to do any extra wiring, motor mounts, blah. if u know what im sayin. cause swappin it into the vulcan will cost more than buyin a taurus with a blown duratec and droppin it in there, plus, that way u will have 2 reliable cars, instead of 1 that ur unsure about the wiring. and the swap would take a lil bit of time, so u would have to drive something untill the swap is done.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Enjoy Your vulcan for now. You got a realitively new engine. Just put the dura in the basement for now and think of it as a Christmas gift for the year 2005.

D

·
0 Posts
I have never looked into it myself but was considering the same thing (picking up a Duratec to have on standby)seeing as how my 2001 already has 59,000 miles on it. Seems to me that it would require the engine, wiring harness, computer and motor mounts.

ok, what did I miss? Can't be too much more than that. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Dec 22 2003, 11:13 AM
I'f you're going to buy the duratec, why not do some work to it before you drop it in a car. Maybe look into the headswap with the svt contour or something. Then once you've built it up, why not drop the motor into a lighter car. maybe a probe, or if you really want to go fast, rip out the seats and put it in the back of a little ford festiva or geo metro or something really tiny and more importantly CHEAP. That thing would HAUL.

That way you can keep your vulcan as a daily drivers or a parts getter for when you're building up your budget "big block" sleeper.
a geo metro? I think the only place a duratec engine would fit in that car would be the roof, maybe the back seat........

-D

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by Doc@Dec 22 2003, 11:22 PM
I have never looked into it myself but was considering the same thing (picking up a Duratec to have on standby)seeing as how my 2001 already has 59,000 miles on it. Seems to me that it would require the engine, wiring harness, computer and motor mounts.

ok, what did I miss? Can't be too much more than that. Anyone?
your current exhaust would have to modified.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie+Dec 23 2003, 01:55 AM-->QUOTE (duratecchie @ Dec 23 2003, 01:55 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk
@Dec 22 2003, 11:13 AM
I'f you're going to buy the duratec, why not do some work to it before you drop it in a car.  Maybe look into the headswap with the svt contour or something.  Then once you've built it up, why not drop the motor into a lighter car. maybe a probe, or if you really want to go fast, rip out the seats and put it in the back of a little ford festiva or geo metro or something really tiny and more importantly CHEAP.  That thing would HAUL.

a geo metro? I think the only place a duratec engine would fit in that car would be the roof, maybe the back seat........

-D [/b]
ShoGun What?

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can drop the Duratec in a Miata. LOL.

Mazda and Ford engineers know how, because they made a 3.0L Duratec Miata project car about 2 years ago. Duratec in a RWD roadster... that's good stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Yep. It totally ruined the Miata's near perfect weight distribution and had a huge hood scoop, but 250 hp and 235 lb/ft in a Miata was just too cool NOT to do.

Speaking of which, if they made 235 lb/ft (!!!) out of a 3.0 V6 why do we not see this engine in our cars?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
UMMMMMMM did anyone think about the tranmission bolting up???? I'm pretty sure that the AX4S (vulcan) tranny and the AX4N (duratec) tranny are different. Plus, aren't the gears different between the AX4S and the AX4N, specifically the duratec having shorter, higher RPM gears (where a DOHC motor makes more power) compared to the vulcans taller gearing? Anybody want to shoot holes though my bubbles?

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by DeJaVu+Dec 23 2003, 02:00 AM-->QUOTE (DeJaVu @ Dec 23 2003, 02:00 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2003, 01:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk
@Dec 22 2003, 11:13 AM
I'f you're going to buy the duratec, why not do some work to it before you drop it in a car.  Maybe look into the headswap with the svt contour or something.  Then once you've built it up, why not drop the motor into a lighter car. maybe a probe, or if you really want to go fast, rip out the seats and put it in the back of a little ford festiva or geo metro or something really tiny and more importantly CHEAP.  That thing would HAUL.

-D
ShoGun What? [/b]
Thank you. That's what I was talking about, except the one I saw was a turbo charged SHO motor that made over 400hp. In the back of the festiva, like I said in my original post.

·
Registered
102 Posts
get that duratec and maybe build it up a little in your family room. ok maybe not there more like the kitchen because thats where hot things come from. but anyways get the engine do whatever u want to it build it up or no and drop it into another taurus or sable that has a blown duratec in it already. and now u have your car and a second one too for cheap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Dec 23 2003, 11:04 AM
I have a vulcan and an AX4N transmission. they are the same except for the clutch piston, which has no bearing on the bolt-up.
Same here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts