Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to pull my halfshafts in my car so I can replace the transmission oil seals. I know that on the splined end that goes into the transaxle, there's a little circlip-retaining-ring thingy ™, and I think that's my problem. The halfshaft just doesn't want to come out. Now I know that it'll require a little force to pull out, but I don't know exactly how much. I don't want to pull the entire shaft for fear of dislocating the CV joints, but at the same time, I don't know how much force is necessary. Would it be cool for me to just take a prybar, wedge it in between the metal part of the halfshaft and the transmission case and pry the hell out of it? How much is too much, and is there a better way of doing this?

By the way, it's on my car, a '99 Prizm, not a Taurus.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by beefstu01@Jun 23 2004, 11:30 PM
Would it be cool for me to just take a prybar, wedge it in between the metal part of the halfshaft and the transmission case and pry the hell out of it?
That's exactly what you do. Sometimes they come out easier than others, but most times you have to use a bar on them. If you can get 2 smaller bars in there, on opposing sides, it makes it easier to pry out, but one will do if that's all you can fit in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Jun 24 2004, 07:47 AM
And get ready for spilling tranny fluid. Have your drain pan positioned under the tranny, cuz as soon as the axel shaft is removed whatever remaining fluid in the tranny will drain out.
I have never had it leak much fluid after removing halfshafts. You don't have to drain the fluid or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I just pulled both shafts on my girlfriends Civic. It uses the same spline and circlip arrangement. Like Bob says, you will need to pry pretty hard. I used a prybar. Once side came out much harder than I expected. It often depends which shaft you pull whether you need to drain first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the transaxle didn't puke too much because one seal had been leaking for a while, but I still got a little gear oil (nasty stuff) out of it. And yeah, both halfshafts were a pain in the ass to pull out. One I used a 4 foot long piece of metal to pry it out, but on the other side I bent the damn bar! I have found that in a pinch, a ball joint puller is a good substitute for a pry bar, and a seal puller (I was able to fling the seal across the garage pulling it that way).

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts