Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody provided a step-by-step pictorial on the removal of the gauge pod on the Gen IV Taurus/Sable?

I ordered the silver gauges from ProCarParts and, if it hasn't been done yet, I'll provide a detailed step-by-step.

Modifications to the gauge cluster:

Only the gauges will be silver. the two triangular pieces on top and jellybean pieces on the side will remain black. I will also slice off the bottom of the left and right pods where the icons are. My goal is to emphasise the gauges only, leaving the icon banks black as normal. I think this will result in a better look overall.

Attached: a photoshop of 96waggin's dash with a (bad) photoshop job to illustrate my idea

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Aug 6 2004, 12:43 PM
now do you know if it will work the same for an sel with the all in one head unit
The FM Transmitter? Right now, I'm going to say yes, because of the way FM transmitters work... it uses a coupler that goes in between the antenna wire and corresponding port on the back of the stereo. Never taken out the Taurus' stereo, but I hope the Taurus is normal in that sense.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I had to disassemble the dash this evening to take care of my spotted cluster lens. Good news and not-so-good news on the process:

Good:
you get to learn a lot. The stereo keeps the presets even after you disconnect it from the dash. The clock gets reset, however

There's only 1 special tool needed, the Ford Stereo Removal Keys. Better yet, it's only $3.99 at AutoZone.

Not So Good:
You need to remove 3 panels (after the stereo has been removed). First the kick panel below the steering wheel. second, the center radio/climate cluster surround. and third, the upper surround from the headlight switch all the way over to the center vents.

There are TONS of bolts involved (2 for the kickpanel, 3 for the upper surround, 5 for the lower surround). 2 socket sizes for the dash, add a third plus a T10 Torx to remove the cluster.

The upper surround is a pain in the butt to remove, you really need to jockey it around the steering column to get it out. The hedlamp control is easy to remove, just pops out by pressing on it's tabs once you seperate that end of the panel from the dash.

I'll take pictures of the process when I do it again when I get the gauges next week. Stay Tuned.

and finally, regarding the hardwire FM Transmitter: it won't install behind the dash. I have to find the antenna coupler, it's probably in the trunk at the RCU.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you have to disconnect the speedometer cable to pull the cluster?
Are you going to do the door switches too?
My 03 Service CD didn't say anything about pulling anything at/ near the radio and air conditioning controls (?) to get at the cluster up on top. Are you doing this to change those LED's too?
If you're going to do a write-up with pictures, tell us/ show us the fanangling you needed to do to get the big piece out around the column.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1: Unsure. I'll have details later this week when I apply the overlays

2: No. From what I've heard those are soldered LEDs

3: No. but to get to the cluster, you need to remove the upper trim. You need to remove the center trim to get to the upper, and the kickpanel to get to the center. The pictures I'll be taking will show this. And I have no plans to change the radio LEDs at this time. again, they're intergrated into the controls, and right now that's beyond my comort level to attempt.

4: I'll do my best.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
also, watch when removing your cluster that you unhook the steering column cable. once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple (though those of you with larger hands will have a tough time), but the first time trying to get it back in was a biznitch :)

and definately be careful on how you put on the new gauge faces...do NOT remove the needles. you will most likely screw up your cluster (believe me, i had to get a second, and gave up on the glow gauges, because i couldn't figure out how to power them at the time *i've since lost the power adapter to them, doh!)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i ended up in some weird positions trying to see everything while doing all the work :)

feet all over the headrest, head trying to peek up with a dim flashlight...im sure it would've looked funny from the outside

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah yeah, forgot about the damn shift needle... My 98 Malibu didn't have that issue (digital indicator and odo). but thanks for reminding me on that, I'll look out for it.

And also with the needles, I will pay very close attention to those, but I fear they're already slightly off, the radar on base says I'm doing 37 when my needle is firmly on 40. I'm afraid to ask ford how much that'll cost to recalibrate

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 9 2004, 06:12 PM
Ah yeah, forgot about the damn shift needle... My 98 Malibu didn't have that issue (digital indicator and odo). but thanks for reminding me on that, I'll look out for it.

And also with the needles, I will pay very close attention to those, but I fear they're already slightly off, the radar on base says I'm doing 37 when my needle is firmly on 40. I'm afraid to ask ford how much that'll cost to recalibrate
I think it's the speedometers in our cars. I'll be driving (speeding) by those stupid pointless speed traps that cops setup on the street and everytime it's 3 miles off.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought that dash looked familiar...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.