Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 year old English boy visiting with us for a few weeks, and I'm trying to take him to see things they don't have in England. He's fascinated by American cars. Even thinks my '98 Bull is "grand". :lol2:

Apparently there's a 1/8 mile dragstrip in Denton, TX that has events on Friday & Saturday nights. Has anyone been there? Is it something you'd want a visitor to see? Do you have any other suggestions for car racing in the Plano/Dallas area?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there,

There's Red Line reaceway just outside of Royce City. It's an 1/8th mile drag strip. There's a kart track off of I35 where they race (classes up to the fast shifter karts) on the weekends.

There'a a really cool place called Motor Sports Ranch between Granbury and Ft. Worth right off 377. The small town is called Cresson. Anyway, it's a 1.5 mile road course where car clubs go and have fun on the weekends. Corvette club, Porsche club etc. It's free to go and hang out and watch. Plus, there's a neat little aviation museum on 377 before the complex.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is also Kennedale 1/8 mile drag strip. It is south of Fort Worth and Arlington. They have racing Thursday through Sunday that I know, maybe more and it is only 10 to get in. They race all kinds of things out there. But if you wanna see some real speed, you will have to go to Ennis 1/4 mile track. Check the web and look at the schedule. Hope he has fun. Where in England is he from? I lived in Ely (if he knows where that is) with my dad years ago.
:evil:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out MotorSports ranch, I'm always up for free entertainment.

Where is he from? He lives in Southport, which is an old resort town on the Irish Sea, about half an hour north of Liverpool. My daughter was an exchange student for her senior year in high school, and he was/is the English boyfriend. He's visiting us for a few weeks before he goes off to "University" back in England.

It's funny how much he enjoys American cars. Part of the visit has been taken up visiting dealerships with the Saleen Mustangs, Corvettes and of course, Hummers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You might want to take him to a Ford dealership that has a GT. There is a dealer down here in Austin that has one so I am sure there is one or more in the Dallas area. By the way it's on sale for 132,000 or monthly payments of 2,400 in case anyone has some spare cash laying around.
That motorsports place sounds like a good place for a club meet one of these days. I never knew that was up there.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the GT is my "Win the lottery" car.

I suppose if I won, I'd still come to the Spetember meet and only charge you guys a buck apiece to fondle the gearshift. :lol2:

Now that I think about it for a minute, I'd probably send my butler to the meet with the car. I'd still be sacked out on a beach in the Bahamas, surrounded by scantily clad young women bringing me rum drinks . . . :chili:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI for those who haven't been . . . I bit the bullet and took our visitor to Ennis last Saturday. It only took an hour to get there, it's not as far away from Plano as I thought. They had "Sport Compact" qualifying going on all afternoon. The fastest run was a hair under 10 seconds.

It was a fun afternoon. Ennis is a nice facility, Things are clean & well organized, I'd recommend a visit. You may want to call before you go to make sure you're seeing what you want to see. I went based on what was posted on their website, and it wasn't quite what was actually going on. Still had a great time, the visitor was impressed by the cars, and my headache from the blaring hip-hop music (if that's not an oxymoron) faded pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, we didn't do the road racing. We've got the kid here for one more weekend, so I'll try to do that next Saturday or Sunday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have actually driven at MSR and it is indeed a blast, although it is a shorter distance than other autocross tracks I have been to.

There is quite a few nice exotics stored on site, and plenty of folks trying to better their skills there on a daily basis.

The place is well run, clean, and the track's conditions are excellent. A pleasure to both visit and drive on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts