Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2004 SE, but it came only with valet keys (opens driver's door and will start the car -- doesn't open trunk, and you can't unlock the other doors with a second turn of the key in the door as with our retired '98 SEL wagon).

The PDF buying guide in the club encyclopedia says I should have remote keyless entry. How can I tell? There should be a module somewhere, no? Is there a way to see if it's in place?

EDIT: by the way, I don't mean the keypad entry -- I mean the key fob with the lock / unlock / trunk / panic buttons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was in the same situation. I just bought a 98se and was not sure if I had keyless entry. Went to the dealer and they said that if I cycle the key from off to on eight times and the door locks open then that means that I have keyless entry. Not sure if it works for other years but worth a try.

begin in the off postion without starting the car turn on key to the on position

1.off/on
2.off/on
3.off/on

eight times

If door locks open.....JACKPOT!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The G4 Taurus never came with valet keys. On the G4, the doors don't unlock with a second turn of the key. The key works in all keyholes so if it's not working in the trunk then the key hole in the trunk is either frozen up or the car was re-keyed at one point.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
The rental Tauri had an option from the factory for keyless delete. :eek:
Hopefully that was not the case with your car. :)

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ozanif - thanks! I confirmed the 8 cycles on/off in our owner's manual - tried it - locks locked and unlocked.

Ain't that something - our family has moved into the last half of the 20th Century at last!

Meanwhile, I went out and tried it in our now-retired 98 wagon and ... the locks locked and unlocked... the 2 years we owned it, we could have gone out and bought a button dingus.

yee-haw

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Qwertz9586 - buying cars used is so much fun. Must have been re-keyed.

duraSEL, you must have posted as I was chortling over success -- that said, it certainly could have been a rental car, but other than its 128k on the clock, it looks brand new, outside, inside, even underneath and in the engine compartment -- in other words, it hasn't seen the usual rental car beating.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Glad things worked out for you.
Looks like you'll be with us for a while.......................... :lol2:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Mar 4 2009, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705531
Glad things worked out for you.
Looks like you'll be with us for a while.......................... :lol2:[/b]
Check my signature. With one exception, Taurus is all I know in any sort of detail.

So much so that when we went to look for a new-to-us car, even though I was open to moving away, it was a Taurus that appealed to both of us. And why not?

1. We're the demographic -- stodgy, 60-ish, conservative drivers
2. When the suspension's healthy, they drive beautifully, predictably, comfortably -- we began buying them after half a dozen stints with Taurus/Sable rental cars back in the 1980s.
3. By now I know almost every Taurus engineering error, assembly flop and and mechanical quirk and can fix most of them.
4. Owing to their steady decline in popularity since the 1993-94 AXOD-E, their resale value has plummeted. While our "new" 04 car had a low but fair market price, our previous 98 wagon set us back a whole $850...

Oh - the exception? In error, we bought a VW Golf for my wife two years ago. $4,000 later we know it is an electrical nightmare, an electronic nightmare, has a disposable engine (badly worn at 140K, probably because it's turning 3200 rpm at 70 mph), and was assembled by inexperienced and ineffective people at a factory that had no useful quality control.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
76 Posts
so i've got a question. In referance to the 98 SEL wagon quoted above, if you turn the key in the lock cylinder twice, it unlocks the rest of the doors. From what i understood that was when the 98 wagon didn't have keyfobs. I've got a 99 SE wagon with the two factory fobs and obviously no valet key (cuz its a wagon what whould be the point?) but i'm wondering if given the year, trim level and options should my wagon unlock all doors with two turns of the key in the door lock? or was that an option that was on the SEL, but not on the SE? answers would be appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (ozanif @ Mar 4 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705533
I wasn't so lucky. Does anyone know if there is any way to add a factory keyless entry?[/b]
Yes just put one in my 2006 Taurus last wekend!

And it wasn't really difficult either. But it wasn't a FACTORY keyless which is not that easy or cheap, but an aftermarket. This is much cheaper and has more options available to program.

And if you take your Taurus to a Ford service department they can look up your VIN to see if the keyless package was deleted from your vehicle. Mine was never installed by whichever rental agency purchased it.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
JT, my daughter has a 98 Taurus Comfort sedan (now known as an SEL in gen 4 lingo) and her key will open all 4 doors if reversed in the keylock.

I'm quite sure that only came on the comfort models and it might have been decontented from the 99 models. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its not that hard to program a factory one, pick one up on ebay for your year, then do the key thing and immeditaly afterward press any button on the remote. I found this while googling around, but my car doesn't support a remote so I can't personally verify this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have a 98 Taurus, sedan, SE and on my instruction manual says to switch on/off 5 times, not 8. By the way it doesn't work in either way in my taurus! :(

I have two questions for you guys:
- Do you know if it matters if I start the procedure with the door locked or unlocked? (I still hope I did something wrong)
- Can you suggest where to buy keyless entry kit for my taurus? I searched on google but the cheapest one is around 170$ and it is way too expensive for me (and the car).

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started with the doors locked. I didn't try it again with the doors unlocked, so I don't know if it does make a difference.

My 98 responded with 8... but I didn't try 5, I just repeated the 8 I used on the 2004, the one that had the manual handy.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (themast @ Mar 7 2009, 08:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706468
Hello,

I have a 98 Taurus, sedan, SE and on my instruction manual says to switch on/off 5 times, not 8. By the way it doesn't work in either way in my taurus! :(

I have two questions for you guys:
- Do you know if it matters if I start the procedure with the door locked or unlocked? (I still hope I did something wrong)
- Can you suggest where to buy keyless entry kit for my taurus? I searched on google but the cheapest one is around 170$ and it is way too expensive for me (and the car).

Thank you[/b]
While you are correct, that the 98 model year uses 5 times...your SE might have had remote keyless entry fleet delete on it. So if you cannot go into programming mode, that means you lack that feature. That also means the stick on keypad won't work.

Search around the site here...we've had some recent discussion about keyless entry kits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all guys.

I purchased a keyless remote kit on line. I'll probably try to install it next week end. I'll share my experience with you.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a follow-up. Bought 2 used fobs on ebay for $18 inc. shipping, did the "programming" and will wonders never cease -- we now can lock or unlock our car from the outside without a key.

Little things make us happy... thanks to Ozanif for the info on how to check.

BTW, I fixed the trunk and key problem by pulling the lock and re-attaching the tiny pull cable between the lock cylinder and the lock body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Follow up.

My car wasn't equipped with a factory keyless entry so I bought an Autopagae KE-120 remote keyless access kit. The instructions are decent but they are not targeted for any particular vehicle so you need wiring diagram for your Taurus:
https://www.directwholesale.net/diagrams/di...ams.asp?link=DW

The door lock/unlock requires four wires to be hooked up:
- door lock (kick panel)
- door unlock (kick panel)
- 12V constant (ignition harness)
- ground (somewhere on the frame)

For the pop trunk release I needed to install a Relay (12V, 40amp, ~5$) and hook it up following the second scheme on this page:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp
(my 98 taurus had a gray/red wire, so it was a (+) connection. Since the KE-120 has a (-) output for the trunk release button I had to convert the negative output to a positive output)
The 87 on the relays goes straight on the red/gray trunk release button, while the 85 goes to the central unit trunk release wire and the 86 and 30 to the 12V.

So that's it. I strongly suggest the use of a voltmeter to check the wiring (the door lock/unlock gives out a 12V constant, when the button on the door is pushed the voltage drops to zero, doing this check can assure you are working on the right cable).

I can't say it was a really easy job but with the right tools, skills and patience is not impossible for a newbie (like me!) in the field.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts