Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my MACH RCU and head unit with the cassette player and CD button for when I eventually get a PIE adapter (I think I found a place to get one, just waiting for it to hopefully ship...)

Long story short, the box the head unit came in was damaged, and the cassette player is broken. Is there any way to just get the cassette reader for the radio without replacing the whole radio? I tried to get it exchanged, but I got a refund instead. I would like to use a cassette adapter I have to play audio without the annoying static of an FM Transmitter.

Below: New head unit for reference before I took it out. The old radio is in the car now. I can post a picture of the piece that broke off when I get home today, it's a plastic black arm-looking piece.

Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Car Gear shift

· Registered
1998 Taurus SE Sedan 3.0L24V AX4N 91Kmi
152 Posts
What are you playing through the cassette adapter? Wouldn't it be easier to just update to a BT/WiFi/CarPlay/AndroidAuto head unit? Or use the CD input on that radio for a hardwire adapter?

Reactions: rjacket

· Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cassette adapter takes Bluetooth audio in and puts it through the cassette player to be played in a sound system. It's the same principle as an AUX one, it's just Bluetooth.

I want to keep a mess of wires to a minimum, and my phone has no aux output. An AUX Bluetooth adapter has a USB power wire or an annoying rechargeable battery. So hacking a CD input isn't really a good option for me.

I'll consider an aftermarket head unit later. I think the metra kit with just a standard Single Din is really, really ugly. When I want to spend 400 dollars on a single din with a screen and wire up the mess, I will. For now I want to keep my only car as stock as possible.

Since I got a refund, I just bought a new one. Hopefully, this one lasts until I want to get a standard din radio.

· Registered
152 Posts

· Registered
23,804 Posts

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
857 Posts
Does anyone else appreciate the irony that the young fella with the Taurus wants to keep it stock and fix the cassette, while the oldies prefer the aftermarket latest tech?

· Registered
152 Posts
Who you callin' "oldie"? :unsure: Just because I watched the moon landings live...

Reactions: Jeff K and rjacket

· Registered
152 Posts
Reactions: snosaint
1 - 12 of 12 Posts