Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many 1996+ Ford taurus with DRLS, Any way to add them to a 1995? Is it as simple as a plug and play type thing? Did 1995 taurus come with DRL's? If not a factory option, could i add them aftermarket?

Just the headlights, but only at 50% power = DRLS.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Normally when a thread pops up like this, I'd like to brag about my turn signal DRLs. Basically the bright filament of the turn signal bulb is your daytime running light. Just like most new GM vehicles.

Unfortunately, if I sent you to bestdrls.com where I got them, you would find that the site's domain is not in order anymore... :-/

I have found a blog by their company though: http://daytimerunninglights.blogspot.com

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
get some switchbacks they look cool and it looks like an you have 2 sets of headlights
you still have to turn the parking lights on for it to work but thats ok

or option 2

you have driving light mounts in the chinstrap area and you could get some lights, wire those into a relay, and wire that in with your ignition switch (or instead of a relay another suitable high current source)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
General Instructions for Installing the DRL Unit

DRLs Thank you for purchasing the DRL-1 model Daytime Running Lights System. This systems is a state of the art electronic module that, when installed properly, will provide you with years of trouble-free service.

The DRL-1 module is designed to convert the front turn signal lamps into Daytime Running Lights. The module comes with all the necessary wiring and connectors and can be installed into almost any year or model of any car, minivan or truck. The unit can be installed under the hood, or near the left turn signal. Installation should take about a hour. You will need a wire cutter/strippers and a pair of pliers to make the connections. Read the instructions carefully and familiarize yourself with the module.

________________________________________________________________________________

This is a picture of the module. The module controls the operation of both turn signals.

You will be making four connections to one side of the car, and only two on the other. There are two pairs of red/black turn signal wires. One pair will operate the left side turn signal lamp, and the other pair will operate the right side turn signal lamp. You will install the module on one side of the car. Then you will run the extra red/brown paired wire to the other side to make the connections to that turn signal. In addition to the connections at the turn signals, you will need to locate a wire that is hot when the Ignition is on. Many cars have a fuse box in the engine compartment. You may be able to find a switched (ignition on) circuit there. Or, if necessary, you can run a wire into the interior of the car, and connect to the radio or other circuit that comes on when the car is running. Select a circuit that's fused for at least 15 amps. Follow the step-by-step instructions carefully, and you won't have any problems.

The Synchronizing Wire

The DRL-1 module can be wired so that both left and right lamps are synchronized. In other words, when in DRL mode, if you turn on a signal, the other lamp turns off. After the signal is complete, both lamps come back on in DRL mode. The reason this is done is because there can be a situation if an oncoming driver just glances at your car while you have a signal on. If he looks when the turn signal is in the off cycle, he will see the other lamp on, and may assume you are turning the other way. In synchronized mode, the other lamp turns off, so there is no confusion.

In non-synchronized mode, the opposite lamp will stay in DRL mode when a turn signal is in use. This is the way turn signal DRLs operate on today's automobiles.

You can program the DRL-1 module to work in synchronized or non-synchronized mode. As you receive the module, it is programmed in non-synchronized mode. If you want this mode, then you can skip this section and continue with the installation.

If you want the unit to operate in synchronized mode, use a quick-splice to connect the white wire to the green module wire. This is not a permanent setting. If you later wish to go back to non-synchronized mode, simply disconnect the two wires.

connect the synchronizing wire

Installation

These instructions assume that you will be installing the module near the left turn signal. If there is more room on the right side of the car, simply replace the word "Left" with the word "Right" in the instructions. When installing the unit, be cautious to mount the device out of harms way. The unit is weather resistant, but it is not water tight. Attaching the module body to the wiring harness of the turn signal will work, as long as it's protected from rain and snow. You may lengthen any of the wires in order to place the unit in a preferred place. Use 18ga. primary wire, or a good quality speaker wire. Just make sure you mark them clearly, so that you make the proper connections. If you mount the module body outside the car (like near the bumper) be sure to position the module with the wires coming out at the bottom. This way, if the unit gets wet, the water won't seep in between the wires.

Left Side

1) Locate the wires for the left TURN/PARKING lamp. If you have a wiring diagram for the car, this will help you identify these wires. If not, then you may need to use a meter or test light to identify the Turn, Park and Ground wires. Refer to the drawing below for the proper connections.

lamp wiring

Make the following connections to the module:

2) Using a quick-connector, connect the GREEN wire from the module to the GROUND wire.

3) Using a quick-connector, connect the BLUE wire to the PARK wire.

4) Cut the TURN wire, and strip 1/2" of insulation from each end. Using a wire nut, connect the PINK wire to the TURN wire that comes from the car wiring harness. Using another wire nut, connect the VIOLET wire to the TURN wire that goes to the TURN SIGNAL LAMP.

Right Side

1) Using wire nuts, connect the RED/BROWN EXTENSION wire to the RED and BROWN module wires and route the extension to the other side of the car.

2) Locate the wires for the right TURN/PARKING lamp. Cut the TURN wire, and strip 1/2" of insulation from each end.

3) Using a wire nut, connect the RED wire to the TURN wire that comes from the car wiring harness. Using another wire nut, connect the BROWN wire to the TURN wire that goes to the TURN SIGNAL LAMP

Connecting to the Ignition Wire

The YELLOW wire coming from the module needs to be connected to a switched power circuit. Locate a circuit that is fused for at least 15 amps. An additional length of wire is included in order to extend this wire. Use the appropriate connectors to make this connection.

Testing

Start the car. Both turn signals should be on. Turn on the left turn signal and see that the left signal blinks. Turn off the signal and after a couple seconds, the turn signal light will come on as a DRL. Turn on the right turn signal and check for proper operation.

Turn on the parking lights. Both turn signal filaments should go off, and only the park filament should be on. Turn the lights off and the turn signal filaments should come on as DRLs. If something isn't working, double check your wiring for errors.

Use the supplied wire ties to neaten up the wires and to fasten the module to the wiring harness. DO NOT over tighten the tie wraps that hold the module to the harness. If you damage the body of the module, the unit may not function properly or may allow moisture into the system.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Should be plug and play as the wiring is there. All you need is the factory DRL module and plug it into the harness in the front of the drivers side fender.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
G2 SHO's come with DRL's, Mabye you can swap it over?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, i just called the dealer, they would have to order it, and it was cost me $140 US. So yeah, i do not think i will go that route, so i will buy the one DRL kit that just turns on the blinker lights...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Pretty sure it's the same module that the 'Gen 3s use too.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Get the part at the junkyard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 18 2009, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733272
Pretty sure it's the same module that the 'Gen 3s use too.[/b]
Really, i did a quick google search for that part number, and a Amazon link came up with this part for $60 with shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...C4&v=glance

so i think i am going to buy this, and will let you know how it goes...

I was thinking.... before i buy this, should i make sure that i do have this plug under the left wheel well?, or is it 100% is going to be there?

Thanks!

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
It should be there, but can't hurt to check that it is there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The G2 cars came wired for the module, yes. Yes, the connector is located in the driver side fender. From what i found out, they only came with the module if they were sold in Canada, where every car must have DRLs. I also discovered that the module was one that they used on all cars made in the G2 year range including the Windstar, Contuor, Crown Vic, etc. So if you want the real deal, you have many other cars that you can look for in junk yards. The main problem with the DRL module is that it will not work with HIDs, which is why i stopped my search for one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts