Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't in the market for a new hobby, but it seems like my son's 97 Taurus is imposing itself on me as one...

The latest issue is a coolant leak which is difficult to find... It will drain the radiator when its parked and all I can see is some dripping coming from the cross member under the pulley and belts of the engine and some leaking near the front passenger side of the radiator...

The weep hole on the water pump is dry but I can't find the leak...
I filled the coolant reservoir with water to see if it would leak and put the cap back on. When I squeeze the upper of lower radiator hose I get some gurgling but no leaks... the next step might be to start it up for a minute to see if it leaks when it builds up pressure.

Anyhow, just thought I would ask if any one had any tips on finding a leak like this...

thanks

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Probably one of the plastic side tanks on the radiator is leaking where the seam meets. This is common on aluminum radiators as they age, since aluminum expands/contracts more than copper does. If the insides of the radiator look good and no corrosion, I would call around to shops that do radiator repairs, and take it out of the car and bring it in to get the seams repaired. It costs less than a new radiator, and they can make it "like new" again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did find the culprit and I am assuming there is only one leak...there is a pin hole in the reservoir tank that shoots a tiny stream when pressurized. I had my son take it for a 5 minute drive and when he came back I found it..

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Cracked / leaking surge tanks are a very common problem. Replacements are relatively cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts