Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whomever did the last oil change on my "new to me" 2000 Taurus DOHC tightened the plug so that now, when I am trying to change the oil, the only that the only thing I am succeeding in doing is rounding off the drain plug head.

I am about ready to take it to the local shop and have them get it off and replace it for me. Before I do that, does anyone know of any tricks or tools that will work on a bolt head that is not only partially rounded, but has been way over-tightened?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before you go any further, get a new or good used drain plug. Then clamp the vice grips on the old one good and tight and get it out and throw it out. If you don't clamp it on tight you may round off the plug more than it already is. Can get scary if you do it to many times. :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree w vise grips. also like stated make sure you have a replacement plug to put back in. You could also try something like an easy-out but hopefully it doesn't come to that! I feel that Visegrips should probably be enough. Just make sure you use a good pair of 'em. I have a cheap pair and they SUCK!

Good luck! Let us know what happens w/ this!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ditto to having a new or replacement plug handy before you try anymore to get the old one out yourself.

If it isn't really rounded BAD, a good flank drive 6-point socket will sometimes work, if you have been striking out with a non-flank drive.
You aren't using a fractional socket on a metric nut are you? Sorry, had to ask. Not trying to hammer on anyone's mechanical integrity here, but it hasn't been brought up.

Vise-Grips with nice new teeth on the jaws should work, but use the biggest pair you can find.

If that still rounds off more, here is my last ditch suggestion:
Very carefully grind or hacksaw two flat spots parallel to each other on the plug (easier said than done). Then use a good open end wrench or good quality adjustable wrench.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Try a small pipe wrench with new, sharp jaws.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Go with the vise grips. Make sure they are high quality ones, the cheap ones may make it worse. I learned from experience to use the genuine vise-grips brand, I have found nothing they could not remove or break off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The drain plug is still on the oil pan. Tightly on the oil pan.

I went with Vice Grips (actaual Vice Grips, not a knock-off) and just ended up rounding the head - and yes, I am turning it the correct direction. They were not the smallest Vice Grips, but they were not the largest, either. I'm going to try danhasenauer's pipe wrench suggestion next.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Wow :eek: that must really be in there that Vise grips can't turn it. Yeah, the monkey (pipe) wrench will be the next thing. If that can't break it loose, well, lets not go there quite yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe should have mentioned, use a straight jawed 10" vise grip if you can. The curved jaws just seem to round things off, for me anyway. An older pair would be the preferred as the new ones are made in China. Not saying anything made in Chain is bad, but the folks that have been using these have not got much good to say about them. I haven't tried one yet myself. That pipe wrench thing could work, but if it slips it's going to grind off really fast. Much luck. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I doubt vice-grips will work. If you bring it into any place, they always put those damn things back on with a air wrench (STUPID STUPID STUPID), so if you have enough strength to get it off with vice-grips (without stripping it completely), I commend you, and you should probably stop going to the gym so much.

Firstly.. are you sure you are using the right socket? Second.. I find if you have a sledge and a good ratchet, you can pry it off that way by smacking it a couple times.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I was waiting to see if someone would say the usual "hit it with a hammer", and here he is....

·
Registered
214 Posts
lol... don't hate. It's a proven solution!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
EZ-Outs work wonders in these situations... otherwise hammer a junk socket onto the plug and then remove -- only works if its about 2 sizes too small ;)

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Pipe wrenches are meant to grab onto and bite into round things... Since the bolt is already rounded off, if the pipe wrench doesn't work nothing will.

I once took the Paddy Wagon to a Mieneke for a "free" oil change, and when I went to change it myself after that I found a couple of things: cheapest non-name-brand filter possible, very cheap and thoroughly black oil, and an over-torqued oil pan drain bolt

Needless to say, I have never dropped my car off at a shop for an oil change since. If you want a job done right...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts