Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be changing the spark plug wires on my 2007 Taurus. Usually, I just rotate plug wire caps and pull by hand. I tried it and cannot get them off so far. I figure the ones in the front will come off with pliers but the ones in the back will need something else.

I found a Lisle 51250 Spark Plug Wire Puller that might work. So my questions, has anyone tried it or any other puller? Do you have any suggestions for getting the plug wires off?

Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try long-nose ViseGrip pliers--they have saved my neck a number of times in removing stubborn spark plug wires. Use them with a pry bar, if necessary. In the future, coat the top electrode and porcelain portion of the plug with a light coating of dielectric grease, which will ease removal and help prevent misfires.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Read the reviews on that Lisle tool, they seemed good. Only complaint is if you a vehicle with deep seated plugs it doesn't work too well. Seems inexpensive on Amazon not sure how much it is retail.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
+1 on using dielectric grease

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's why they give you a little squeeze pack of it with every set of decent wires. Just pulled mine off and changed then after 4 years, came off very easily.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why they give you a little squeeze pack of it with every set of decent wires. Just pulled mine off and changed then after 4 years, came off very easily.
Putting lube on the plugs is a good idea but these plug wires have never been replaced before. Probably should have replaced them sooner but the motor ran fine until the coil went bad. I figures since I was replacing the coil, I would do the wires and spark plugs too.

I will look for the plug puller at the local NAPA or a small pair of vice grips.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Be careful using anything but your hands, they can tear from the rough edges on the tools (pliers etc).The specific plug boot pullers work well though.I got a pair for about 5$ up here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update - I went to O'Reilley and found a plug puller that worked. It cost about $6 and it well worth the money.

Thanks for your suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts