Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

First, impressed with the great community of people who are willing to help. This is my first post and I know there are some topics about this issue already. I reassure you that I already tried almost all of the suggestions regarding this topic. I have a 1996 3.0 ohv taurus gl.

Things I have done to it:
  • Changed CCRM (constant control relay module)
  • Changed fan dropping resistor by right front bumper
  • Even changed PCM
  • Changed Coolant Temp Sensor
  • Checked fuse in engine bay fusebox
  • New Coolant with 50/50 mix
  • New radiator
Essentially my fans turn on high when my temps hit 3/4 of the way up (1/4 away from red). It cools it great with the new radiator but I never hear or see the low speed fan come on. I really don't want my temps to always reach 3/4 of the way before fans come on especially with summer around the corner.

Any ideas or suggestions to fix this problem?

I was wondering can cooling fans be bad even though they work on high?

Both fans never come on for low speed but both come on for high speed. Why would both fans act this way if the fans were bad?

Is adding a thermostic fan control really the only way to overcome this? I really want my fans to work like stock to turn on when they are suppose to.

I am really struggling to figure this out and really have no idea why my low speed fans never come on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Might click on the search feature at the top of this page and type in: engine cooling fans high speed only? Read the 2 top posts by ken23434. May yield some insight.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Have you confirmed power to the fan motor at the low speed turn-on temperature? Star there and work back in the circuit and you'll find the problem. You'll need an OBDII diagnostic tool plugged in to see the reported temperatures.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
There is usually more than one coolant temperature sensor, so make sure you replaced the right one. Also, I would get a cheap infrared thermometer gun from harbor freight to see what temperature the fans are coming on at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try these things out

@Sheila
Thanks for your reply. I did look at the posts by ken_23434 and it did give me some insight. It seems that his problem was the fan itself and was very surprised by how these fans are wired. I am going to try to see if I can get a fan from a junkyard. I am posting the link for everyone else who finds this post.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...check-me-both-low-speed-fan-windings-bad.html

@WJC
Thanks for your reply. I will check to see if there is any power and the low fan should turn on. I am planning to buy a thermometer gun at harbor freight like T_swensen suggested. What temp should the low fans turn on?
@T_swensen
Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure I changed the coolant temp sensor that has a electrical connector and right above the transmission. Also the Advance Auto looked up the part for me so it should be correct. Were you talking about the engine block temp sensor? Is this the one right next to the coolant temp sensor? What other sensors should I look for that will affect when the low speed fans come on?

It seems that everyone agrees that it could be the fan that is acting up or the wiring to the fans. I will check these out and give an update.

Thanks everyone:D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
@Sheila
@WJC​
Thanks for your reply. I will check to see if there is any power and the low fan should turn on. I am planning to buy a thermometer gun at harbor freight like T_swensen suggested. What temp should the low fans turn on?
That won't really help. You need to see exactly what the PCM is seeing. The temperature of the engine at various external points won't equal the coolant temp at the switch. Borrow a scanner if you have to. According to Mitchell's, low speed comes on at 215, high at 230.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Ect (eng. coolant temp. sensor) is the 2 wire gray sensor for the pcm (computer) and cooling fan operation. The 1 wire brown sensor alongside on the vulcan is the temp. sender for the dash gauge. From the service manual: lo speed on @ 216f, off @ 212f. Hi on @ 228f, return to lo sp. (assuming its working) @ 222f. Fan(s) on hi with ac. Cooling fans should not cycle with ac compressor clutch. Grey96taurus, did you read both threads by ken23434?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure I changed the coolant temp sensor that has a electrical connector and right above the transmission. Also the Advance Auto looked up the part for me so it should be correct. Were you talking about the engine block temp sensor? Is this the one right next to the coolant temp sensor? What other sensors should I look for that will affect when the low speed fans come on?
I would usually replace both temperature sensors just to make sure that I don't get false readings from the gauge that don't match the actual engine temperature. I would point the temp gun at the thermostat housing since it is made of aluminum and should be pretty close to the coolant temperature.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ect (eng. coolant temp. sensor) is the 2 wire gray sensor for the pcm (computer) and cooling fan operation. The 1 wire brown sensor alongside on the vulcan is the temp. sender for the dash gauge. From the service manual: lo speed on @ 216f, off @ 212f. Hi on @ 228f, return to lo sp. (assuming its working) @ 222f. Fan(s) on hi with ac. Cooling fans should not cycle with ac compressor clutch. Grey96taurus, did you read both threads by ken23434?
Thanks, I was wondering about this, as the dash gauge says it is at 7/8 when the PCM says it is a 220 F turning on the coolant e-fan on ours! I was thinking the dash gauge was bad, but sounds like the gauge sensor or contact, or thread sealant, killing the ground on ours!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts