Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have for a long time admired the superb V6 found in Generation 1 & 2 SHO models.

I know that the inlet manifold can be turned 180 degrees for a RWD application and that is what I plan to do to a Middlebridge Scimitar GTE which I don't think has never graced the shores of the US.

It was manufactured from 1988 to 1990 and fitted with a Cologne V6 in 12 valve form with either a Type 9 manual or an A4LD auto. From research already I have discovered that the SHO will match up to both the A4LD and to MT75 or T5 manual boxes.

On checking various forums and websites I have found references to ATX and MTX which I know means Auto and Manual.

As I plan to transfer to a North-South location as opposed to the normal East-West layout does it mater if I buy an ATX engine and mate it to a manual box or match an A4LD to an MTX? apparently the gudgeon pins on the ATX are bigger by 1 mm but does that matter? What other differences are they between manual/autos apart from the pistons and water pumps that are important to consider?

Another query is do I look at the earlier 3.0 litre or is the the 3.2 litre a better bet? Would I have any problems just buying an engine or should I consider shipping a complete salvage Taurus to the UK?(obviously an engine will cost less in freight charges)

I notice that the engine is unique in having a cambelt and timing gears and chains The belt I understand and would naturally replace as per a 60K but what of the chains and sprockets? are they a need to change other than if I go for different cams?

Can anyone give me some engine dimensions, such as height,width etc or point me in the right direction ?

Sorry for all the questions and hope I haven't upset anyone on here, but I really want to do this as it would be a first in a Scimitar and probably a first in the UK too

Waiting in anticipation, TeeinChina

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
My recommendation would be to raise this question over at SHOForum.com

There are a number of members on that site who have intimate knowledge of what RWD transmissions work behind the SHO V6, as well as where to acquire the requisite adapter plates, bell housings, and so forth.

- H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts