Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2011 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of those plastic 13,000lb GVWR ramps from harbor freight but the front end is far too low to use them. Looking for a set that can be used with this car.

· Registered
28 Posts
MY SHO is lowered with H&R springs, I just throw a 2x4 in front of the ramps and that does the trick.

Hood Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
212 Posts
I got these the other day

They fit fine from the front and rear, but not from within the middle (behind front or in front of the back wheels, their stop-lip is too tall). Driving up them with front wheels is a questionable procedure. They're pretty light and if you give the wheels any torque they will shoot out the back and get jammed underneath. And they like to slide. But, in all they work in a pinch.

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
857 Posts
A few layers of cardboard from a box should give you the height you need to clear the front. I need that with Rhino Ramps. On my other car, I need the cardboard just to get the jack under the front.

Also, I don't drive up the Rhino Ramps. I just jack up the car. I will sometimes drive off in which case I used the cardboard for the few mm extra needed.

· Registered
4 Posts
My ramps are a very old set that I got from Sears probably close to 40 years ago - and they also have detachable inclines to make it easier to get under the car from the sides - very handy when doing work like removing a transmission from a rear-wheel drive car or exhaust work... Most of the time though I'm just doing oil changes and leave the inclines in place since I do that by sliding myself under the front of the car(s) using a sheet of cardboard. Not only does the cardboard catch any drips from hitting the driveway, it is also a heck of a lot easier to slide myself on to get under the car. Another nice feature of my old ramps is that they have rubber feet so they don't slide when I'm trying to drive the car up them.

Yes, my '17 Taurus SEL is too low in the front to drive right up, so kinda like @jman I use a 8x8" paver stone (about 1.75" thick) placed before the incline. When the tire rides up over that stone, the front spoiler/airdam clears the ramp just fine.

· Registered
51 Posts
Not exactly ramps, but... I've used my Camco leveling blocks from my camper - dirt cheap, they fit together and stack like Legos, can support up to 10k. Usually I find them in sets of 10 at places like Walmart or Menards. Each block is about 1.5" thick. I use them as ramps for my Silverado after the metal ones I had collapsed under its weight. Unlike ramps, these don't seem to scoot when you climb onto them.

· Registered
2011 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got these the other day

They fit fine from the front and rear, but not from within the middle (behind front or in front of the back wheels, their stop-lip is too tall). Driving up them with front wheels is a questionable procedure. They're pretty light and if you give the wheels any torque they will shoot out the back and get jammed underneath. And they like to slide. But, in all they work in a pinch.

Based on what I saw at 0:57, this guy is using the 11909ABMI ramps too. You can also see the car go up cleanly at 1:27.

I'm not understanding why the bumper of my car hits the ramps when his doesn't. On the spec page for the HF ramps it says it's a 17° incline and it also says the same thing for the rhino ramps.

The only difference I notice is his driveway is sloped upwards while mine is sloped downwards.

· Registered
28 Posts
The Taurus in the video doesn't have the rubber bumper spoiler.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

This is mine, the spoiler is what pushes the ramps.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Car White

1 - 11 of 11 Posts