Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Last weekend I did some minor rust repair on my 03 Taurus. Car is in very good shape except for where the paint got chipped off and started to rust on the lip of the wheel well. I removed the rust, primed, painted, and applied clear coat. Everything turned out great. The only problem now is that there's some overspray just above the wheel on the quarter panel. It's about 2 inches above the top of the wheelwell. Most people probably wouldn't notice it, but it's annoying the sh-t out of me. I can feel it when running my hand across the panel.

I've got 2 friends with bodyshop experience who both have different opinions on how to fix this. The one guy suggests I use 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and try to buff the paint afterwards with polish.

The second guy suggests to just use a polish. He gave me one that was mildly abrassive.

I've also read on-line of people using a claybar. My biggest concern is that I'll screw up the repair I just did. I've attached a picture showing where I'm talking about. There was no rust where this clear was sprayed. In order to do it right, I had to spray along the edge of the wheel well and of course it goes everywhere.

Would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
When dealing with paint issues, always start with the least aggressive method and work your way up until the problem is resolved.

The clay bar would be a great way to start. They can be very effective with this kind of stuff. As long as you keep the surface lubricated, you also have little risk of damage. There's some great videos on how to use them on the Adam's Car Care Products website.

If that doesn't work, go to a mild polish. If that doesn't get it go to a more aggressive polish or a compound. Wet sanding should be your last resort. Whatever you end up having to resort to, read up on how to do it properly and watch some videos. Most better product manufacturers have some great videos on their sites about how to use their products. Fixing this kind of stuff isn't rocket science by any means, but you need to know what you're doing so you don't inadvertently make things worse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure glad I posted the question to you guys. Due to lousy weather, it's taken me a few days to get this sorted out. I started with the clay bar and it did help a little. I then went over it very lightly with some Turtle Wax polishing compound followed by some Auto Glym. It turned out VERY good.

Sure, you can still see a slight difference in the shade of paint but overall I'm happy. The clear coat is no longer rough and I can't feel a thing. Smooth as glass. The only problem I kept having (and hopefully it won't be a problem in the future) was when I was polishing along the edge of where the new paint meets the old paint. You could feel it and could easily scratch it off if you used your nail. So this meant I had to keep polishing until it was feathered out.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is that there wasn't anything wrong with the paint or metal on this part of the car. The surface rust was along the lip of the wheel well. However, in order to paint this section, it meant having to paint a larger area. Oh well... I guess it could be worse.

Thanks again B)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts