Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to paint the plastic rocker panels on my 02 SES. Im a fan of the monochromatic look and thought this might make the car look lower.

Ive attached a picture to this post highlighting what I'd like to paint.

Is painting this plastic a difficult job?

Thanks
Curtis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Hi Curtis, and welcome to :tcca:!

I remembered this old post in the Archive, and dug it up for you: Rocker painting

Also, be advised the 3rd generation SHO and 3rd and 4th generation Mercury Sable rocker panels will fit your car, and they were painted at the factory.

Hope this is of help.

Tom

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree with Ashley. The plastic probably won't hold the paint very well. I would go out to a junkyard and get the rocker panels from a Gen III and have them painted. They look better anyway.

JR

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 14 2004, 11:27 AM
I agree with Ashley. The plastic probably won't hold the paint very well. I would go out to a junkyard and get the rocker panels from a Gen III and have them painted. They look better anyway.

JR
Earlier years were painted (like my 96'), later years were not (like my uncle's 99).

A thought: I grinded my sideskirt against a curb one time (I was pissed), and it scraped away the top layer of plastic, but the layers underneath that were still green. So, try your best to find a silver gen3 with silver sideskirts, if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 03 is silver like yours. I have one hell of a time with rust on the bottom of my vehicles and think plastic in that area is one less thing I have to worry about. I don't think you'd be able to keep a silver rocker panel clean from road tar and grime (this would also apply to the rear bumper cover right behind the rear wheels). I also agree that the plastic wouldn't hold the paint well down there. It would have to be molded that color throughout.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If small rocks are chipping your paint on the underside, you obviously haven't prepped it very well.

The way that the 4G car's skirts are set up, it has almost a "molded mudflap" by the wheels. That would block the majority of the rocks from hitting the bottom of the skirts.

The key is in the prepping. You'll have to spread "mud" (plastic body filler) over the surface, you can find (or tint with a small amount of paint) mud that has a light grey color to it when it's hardened. Good priming and application of pigment is essential to a strong paintjob - you won't want to go very heavy with either.

I would ask that people who haven't done automotive painting please refrain from guesses at how well it would hold. :???:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jul 14 2004, 11:49 AM
I doubt that painting it will make it stay... The paint will probably chip off and look ugly.. I'd be in search of some factory-colored ones :)
Silver is a tough color. Krylon makes a plastic paint that I use around my house where I grew up. It works pretty well, and the only color I have used so far is white. It holds well to the plastic I have used it on so far, but then again the stuff I painted is not exposed to the elements, road debris, or other stuff.

-DC

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I painted mine about 6 months ago and they are holding up fine with no chips whatsoever. I used "bullfrog" primer, since this is what my body shop uses. I would also suggest haveing a body shop do the actual paint and clear coat. My black still doesn't match the factory black perfectly, but still looks good. What ever filler you use make sure it says for bumpers or plastic. They make special stuff that flexes with the plastic. Regular body filler will get to hard and will not flex with the plastic, which will also cause chipping.
I am not an expert by any means so if experts have any other ideas, spit it out.
:lol2:
Also, when you take off the side skirts pry them off slowly and you will be able to reuse all the clips. There are a few screws on each end as well.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jul 15 2004, 10:09 PM
I painted mine about 6 months ago and they are holding up fine with no chips whatsoever. I used "bullfrog" primer, since this is what my body shop uses. I would also suggest haveing a body shop do the actual paint and clear coat. My black still doesn't match the factory black perfectly, but still looks good. What ever filler you use make sure it says for bumpers or plastic. They make special stuff that flexes with the plastic. Regular body filler will get to hard and will not flex with the plastic, which will also cause chipping.
I am not an expert by any means so if experts have any other ideas, spit it out.
:lol2:
Also, when you take off the side skirts pry them off slowly and you will be able to reuse all the clips. There are a few screws on each end as well.
close up pictures of yours please

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I think the Andy autosports side skirts would like good by themselves with out the rest of the kit, and could EASILY be painted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts