Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Nightwish album came out yesterday, so I went out last night and picked up a copy of Dark Passion Play.

It's their first album with new singer Annette Olzon. Some people disagree with me, but I think Annette is a great fit with the band, and I really like her voice.

I'm really enjoying the new album...I got the deluxe version with a second disc with instrumental versions of all the songs, which I thought was pretty cool :thumb: The new album has lots of normal dramatic Nightwish arrangements, and some of it feels heavier than their previous albums.

For anybody who hasn't listened to them before...the first song, The Poet and the Pendulum, is a good introduction to their style (IMHO, of course), and it's by far the longest song on the album...but it's got all all of their characteristic style and feel...very epic. B)

Just wondering if anybody else has listened to it yet and if there were any other Nightwish fans here. :horns:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
anything to compare it to? i mean, something similar? ive never heard of them, but im open to new music.....

one more thing...ya spelled it wrong in the title. maybe get a mod to fix it?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
one more thing...ya spelled it wrong in the title. maybe get a mod to fix it?[/b]
10-4 :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nick :thumb:

They're a symphonic metal band...their past two albums have been recorded with a full orchestra and big choirs. Their old singer was a classically trained opera singer, so there's a bit of that influence there too, especially on the older stuff.

Here's their myspace: Nightwish MySpace

Amaranth video (current single from the new album): Youtube link

Dark Chest of Wonders video (old singer, last album): Youtube link

Nemo video (also from the last album, old singer): Youtube link

Some people compare them to bands like Lacuna Coil or The Gathering...I can see the similarity, but make it more epic and dramatic sounding. It's hard to describe...I can't think of anyone that sounds really close to them...that I've heard of yet, anyway. :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
hmmm i might have to pick one of their albums up, listening to their songs on myspace, i like them.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I have all their albums up until this one. Still not sure if I'm going to pick it up, as I didn't like Once that much, and once I heard Eva I was basically completely turned off. I do like Amaranth though, good track. :thumb:

I might characterize them in the same vein as the Dutch group Within Temptation, but Lacuna Coil is more gothic than symphonic. I'm a huge fan of gothic and doom metal though... Tristania, Sirenia, Trail of Tears, Draconian, and Moonspell are always playing in the car. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts