Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 taurus is overheating. We've changed the radiator, thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, fan, radiator cap, & heater core. It does fine for short trips but after 30 mins or so the temperature gauge starts to rise. Once the temperature goes up the water spills from radiator when car stops. No water or smoke from exhaust though... Please any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Be sure your pressure cap is new. I have had 2 OE fail, one dumped all the coolant, other seeping. Also, the fans manage your temp. Both fans run on low speed with A/C, and both on high when the coolant makes ~215F.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Do the fans turn on when it gets hot? Does the temperature gauge indicate overheating? I would suggest a compression test to see if you have a failed head gasket or there is a test kit that you use to see if there is exhaust gas in your degas bottle. Also your degas bottle cap may be faulty, is it a Dorman brand. Maybe Autozone has a cap test kit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fans definitely work. Cap is new. Husband ruled out heads. Someone suggested intake gasket. Sound logical?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 02 taurus is overheating. We've changed the radiator, thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, fan, radiator cap, & heater core. It does fine for short trips but after 30 mins or so the temperature gauge starts to rise. Once the temperature goes up the water spills from radiator when car stops. No water or smoke from exhaust though... Please any suggestions?
It should be going into the degas bottle not spilling out on the ground. If it is not using an overflow system, then that is probably the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
Is the new cap on the degas tank the updated Motorcraft cap or some junk from the discount parts store? Use ONLY the updated Motorcraft cap.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bought new cap at auto parts store
Did you get a Motorcraft RS 527? An aftermarket version of the old style cap is useless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
REDTRUCKCHASER
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing