Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FORD 3.0 V6, its engine will shut off sometimes when I come to a complete stop or if I am stationary and turning my steering wheel. I had taken it to auto shop check twice and they said it was fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Any tune ups lately, any check engine lights?? My crystal ball says maybe vacuum leak or dirty air filter. Not much to go on.

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
As Downhill said, more detailed info would be nice. How does the engine idle? Stable and at the correct RPM? Is this an intermittent problem or does it happen all the time?

I am thinking, based on the available info, that the IAC may be sticking shut occasionally. Pull it, clean it out, and see if it improves. Easy and free to try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any tune ups lately, any check engine lights?? My crystal ball says maybe vacuum leak or dirty air filter. Not much to go on.
the engine lights do not flashs, if vacuum leak or dirty air filter lead to the problem, could you tell me what should I do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Downhill said, more detailed info would be nice. How does the engine idle? Stable and at the correct RPM? Is this an intermittent problem or does it happen all the time?

I am thinking, based on the available info, that the IAC may be sticking shut occasionally. Pull it, clean it out, and see if it improves. Easy and free to try.
It doesn't happen all the time, thanks eff K, I will try.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The air filter can restrict air flow, clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor in the air bellow tube. Take the rubber corrugated section off of the Intake Manifold at the Throttle Body. You will need to remove hoses to it and also unplug the sensor that you will clean. Then just lift it out and change air filter, clean the Throttle body with Carb cleaner. Get a can of CRC MAF cleaner. Take straw and spay the wire that you see in the small hole. DO NOT TOUCH THE WIRE!! just spray it. Let it air dry while you do the other work. I would also take of the IAC that Jeff referred to and clean it carefully with mineral spirits and a q tip into the dirty areas. If IAC is pretty trashed it would not hurt to replace. Those are the cheap places to start.
Air- Fuel- Fire Once you know that the air is there you can follow the trail and we well guess along with you>>> What is your cold idle at start in rpms. Mine goes to about 1800rpms on initial start,drops to 1500 for about 15-30sec then slowly drops to about 1000-800 as it warms up. Your cyle should be similar with a good IAC. If it differs from what I described it would be suspect. My starts are between 40F to minus 20F in the mornings. The cycle is almost the same every time and I have no stalls and am getting good steady gas mileage.
downhill~~

·
Registered
29 Posts
do you have problems driving down the road? as in if you punch the gas pedal does it hesitate or try to shut off? my car would idle fine but would try to stall when i would punch the gas and i found mine was getting low fuel pressure and needed to replace the fuel purge valve thats mounted on the fire wall. you can check the fuel pressure with a gauage that's at any parts store.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
do you have problems driving down the road? as in if you punch the gas pedal does it hesitate or try to shut off? my car would idle fine but would try to stall when i would punch the gas and i found mine was getting low fuel pressure and needed to replace the fuel purge valve thats mounted on the fire wall. you can check the fuel pressure with a gauage that's at any parts store.
Mine runs between 39-41 psi and no issues, so baseline below that is probably possible pressure reg , dirty filter or pump. I know bad filter can really be problematic in winter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check for a loose wire somewhere. I found alot of problems with loose or corroded connectors, or a vacuum leak, take flammable carb cleaner spray it around and see if the idle changes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
have a possible answer tranny is the cause.. as i have found out on mine... it will not disengage.... another hint this is the trouble engine runs great but as you drive in OD it feels as it is missing.... that is the torc lock up that is slipping

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does it also cut off when at idle and you turn on the A/C? If so that will eliminate the possibility that you have wiring problems and point more towards a vacuum leak or IAC problem. You can check for vacuum leaks with a propane torch. Some people use brake cleaner, but I find it's easier with a torch. Just take the car outside, open the hood, open the torch (but don't light it), move the nozzle around about the intake and see if the idle speed changes. If it does, you've found your vacuum leak. Also, disconnect the airbox. Get yourself a cigar and start puffing like mad and blowing it into the intake tube. You should see smoke coming out of your intake leaks at idle. If all else fails, clean out your IAC. They get dirty and start wreaking havoc on your idle. While you're at it, may as well clean the throttle body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts