Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a high mileage 97Taurus last month. After added gas for the first time at Costco, the SES lights on. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I know I can check the code at AZ, but they are somehow far away. So I wonder it is possilbe to do it by myself. Thanks all!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty sure it's the NBGAC code. Easy to fix and should never give you the same problem again........

NBGAC is a Ford code meaning......... Never Buy Gas At Costco.

Just kidding. There maybe others who'll check a code for you otherwise wait until it comes on again while you're near an AZ.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If a code came on right after getting gas, it's probably the code for the gas cap. If it's not on there all the way, the pressure will change in the fuel tank, and it will throw a code. All you need to do is screw the cap on all the way and reset the computer by disconnecting the neg cable from the battery and letting the car sit for five minutes.

Let us know if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't, go to Autozone...

JR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! I will try tomorrow if I can get a wrench since my battery is not good and it is not very easy to disconnect the cable from poles.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The easiest way is to use a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension...I think the appropriately sized socket is about 1/4" or 5/16", although it might be a similarly sized metric socket.

JR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 28 2004, 06:42 PM
The easiest way is to use a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension...I think the appropriately sized socket is about 1/4" or 5/16", although it might be a similarly sized metric socket.

JR
Thanks JR! The ratchet with an extension worked pretty good. I disconnected the battery and the SES light went off. Since I don't drive much, let me see whether the SES will light again and report later here . :banana:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was thinking that the computer stored the last several codes that were thrown, regardless of whether the SES light was still illuminated. If so, you can get it checked whenever you are close to an AZ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all again! Now I drove more than 50 miles and SES is still off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts