Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Belkin router and I need to shut off my firewall to see if a game will work on line - how do I do that? I went to the Belkin homepage but it looks like they just sell belkin stuff there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (allford @ Apr 4 2009, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715197
Got a Belkin router and I need to shut off my firewall to see if a game will work on line - how do I do that? I went to the Belkin homepage but it looks like they just sell belkin stuff there.[/b]
Open your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 that should bring up your router's settings page. Unless it uses a different ip addy than mine.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It could also be 192.168.2.1

As far as changing the settings once you access the router, every router is different. For example, some need to be thrown straight into the air and blown out of the sky with a shotgun. :p

I'm just frustrated right now, because our wireless router just failed. In all seriousness, the options screen for ever router is different. I had to change the NAT settings so I could join an xbox live party with my brother, and I had to search around on how to do it because you had to do something different depending on the type of router. If you search around some tech websites you should be able to find the info you need.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (Mr. X @ Apr 4 2009, 02:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715208

As far as changing the settings once you access the router, every router is different. For example, some need to be thrown straight into the air and blown out of the sky with a shotgun. :p

I'm just frustrated right now, because our wireless router just failed. In all seriousness, the options screen for ever router is different. I had to change the NAT settings so I could join an xbox live party with my brother, and I had to search around on how to do it because you had to do something different depending on the type of router. If you search around some tech websites you should be able to find the info you need.[/b]
I feel you. The one game I play online needed a Patch so it was patched and then wouldn't let me online anymore. I spent all night reinstalling (there's like 5 huge ass patches to download)and now I find out it's probably the router.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (allford @ Apr 4 2009, 02:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715211

I'm just frustrated right now, because our wireless router just failed. In all seriousness, the options screen for ever router is different. I had to change the NAT settings so I could join an xbox live party with my brother, and I had to search around on how to do it because you had to do something different depending on the type of router. If you search around some tech websites you should be able to find the info you need.[/b]
I feel you. The one game I play online needed a Patch so it was patched and then wouldn't let me online anymore. I spent all night reinstalling (there's like 5 huge ass patches to download)and now I find out it's probably the router.
[/b][/quote]

Well it's not the router, my firewall is already disabled. My buddy and I tried to play this game online after downloading a patch - he can get access, I can't. I'm ready to throw my computer out the window.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Screw the router, and hook the modem right to your computer. Disable any software firewalls on your computer too.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
What game?

You'll need to enable port forwarding, I don't know if Belkin supports that.

IMO, you should buy a Linksys WRT54G2 (refurb for $40), and flash it with the DD-WRT firmware. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Racer X @ Apr 4 2009, 04:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715224
What game?

IMO, you should buy a Linksys WRT54G2 (refurb for $40), and flash it with the DD-WRT firmware. :thumb:[/b]
Company of Heroes. What do I have to do to enable port forwarding? And why would **** change because of the patch? Before the patch it was working fine dammit. I tried going direct w/my modem but I had no connectivity.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Just place your local IP (set it up statically) as the DMZ host, no firewall, then set up port forwarding to that PC as well, nothing at all is blocking you then, the router is just giving u raw data without even looking at it (besides to see if its going to you)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If it won't work direct connected, then there is something wrong with the game.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
QUOTE (Racer X @ Apr 4 2009, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715224
What game?

IMO, you should buy a Linksys WRT54G2 (refurb for $40), and flash it with the DD-WRT firmware. :thumb:[/b]
FWIW, my cheap $40 Belkin wireless router supports port forwarding.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
QUOTE (allford @ Apr 4 2009, 03:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715231
Company of Heroes. What do I have to do to enable port forwarding? And why would **** change because of the patch? Before the patch it was working fine dammit. I tried going direct w/my modem but I had no connectivity.[/b]
No connectivity at all when you went direct to the modem? Or just the game wouldn't connect? When your buddy connected to the game, did he do it from your house through your internet? If someone else's computer can connect through your internet, then it's definately a problem with your system/installation of the game. If he can't connect at your house either then I'd blame the modem/ISP.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well problem solved, sort of. The tech guys couldn't help and like I said, I trid to go direct w/the modem and couldn't connect. Then I figured out my modem was bridged so I fixed that, and the game worked through the modem. It downloaded another patch and I was on. My router is a Dlink but I also have a Linksys sitting here. I think I will hook the lynksys up instead of the Dlink.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts

You've got NAT turned on for your router?

I still can't believe that consumer grade wireless routers come with NAT. That's really an enterprise level protocol. We use it at work, where we have numerous systems with common IP schemes, and a need to get them from the enterprise development network, but I couldn't imagine when I'd actually need to use it at home.

JR

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Apr 11 2009, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717041

You've got NAT turned on for your router?

I still can't believe that consumer grade wireless routers come with NAT. That's really an enterprise level protocol. We use it at work, but I couldn't imagine when I'd actually need to use it at home.

JR
[/b][/quote]

Xbox live does use Nat doesnt it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts