Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am trying to replace a PATS transceiver on my '99 Taurus wagon and am not having any luck finding a replacement, new or used. Ford has discontinued it, haven't been able to find any in their parts network and have struck out in the salvage yards in my area. Does anyone have access to one or is there a workaround?

I have called a couple places that install remote controls to see if a bypass module would work but both said no, not without a working transceiver in the car.
A ford dealer service adviser also told me if I did find a transceiver from another vehicle, it would have to be programmed. Any answers are appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Easier to do a non PATS conversion at this point. Many third generation cars didn't have it, just grab an ECU from a 98 or 99 that doesn't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easier to do a non PATS conversion at this point. Many third generation cars didn't have it, just grab an ECU from a 98 or 99 that doesn't.
Ok, I had wondered about going this route. Would this ECU need to be programmed? thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. As long as you get one from the same engine. Cruise the wrecking yards.
Thanks for the info, that is my next step. I'm not really into electronics, as you can tell. Guys at the salvage yard counter are probably wondering what I'm doing there so often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update on my'99 PATS system. My mechanic suspected the transceiver was faulty, Ford says no NOS available anywhere and part numbers say proper transceiver is only for 98-99 years. However, after crawling under steering columns for one last time in the junkyard, I found a 2000 transceiver. Looked the same as mine, different part number but installed it and it works perfect.

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts