Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 taurus and i smell antifreeze sometimes when the car is ideling, the smeel is mild and the car is not leaking or overheating, when i am driving i smell nothing, any tips?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Its been awhile since i have looked under the hood of a 93. if the radiator has a cap on it, its possible it has failed. if it has an over flow make sure the cap is on it.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
pull the cap and take a look. if its low then refill it and add a coolant leak dye to help pinpoint the leak. common areas for leaks are heater core hoses, water pump, hoses. head gasket. check the oil and see if its a milk shake.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
hmmmm.... mystery smells with no signs of loss. the last time i had this I had a pin hole in the top of the radiator. it didnt show its ugly head until I replaced the radiator cap ( tested and failed ) I am not saying this is your problem.
Maybe someone else will chime in.
I would pressurize the system and take a look for a little leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright thanks for your help, the car is not overheating so i will try looking for a slight leak but i will continue to drive the car

·
Registered
58 Posts
When the engine is cool, check the center head bolt that goes through the exhaust manifold, on the firewall side. On the first and early second gen cars these break and coolant seeps around the bolt and is evaporated by the exhaust, never showing a leak or a puddle under the car. They can be replaced without removing the heads too.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I thought heater core leak into the car also, however when driving there is no smell. this leads me to the engine bay.
good call on the head bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Bigdogg, pressurize the system with a tester you can get AutoZone to lend to you - don't exceed the pressure printed on the cap (should be 16lbs). I have the same engine, and I can tell you, there are a lot of hoses in there! If you are up to it and they havn't been done lately, replace all of them! Besides the upper and lower rad. hoses, I believe there are seven 'heater' hoses. Do not try to save money and get some bulk 3/4" hose - it won't work! The hoses are molded into tight bends, and at least one of them has a different i.d. at either end (if I remember correctly, it's the water pump to tee-2). Three or four of them share the same part #. NAPA has them all in stock, I think. If the water pump and/or radiator is/are original, you may want to go ahead and replace them as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts