Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been reading past forum posts and have seen a few with similar problems as mine but none with the exact. Just looking on ideas on what could be the issue.

Bought the car Feb 2010 and it has had a slight antifreeze smell after driving since then, however the antifreeze level does stay pretty steady with maybe needing a tiny bit added every 2-3 months. My husband had been driving this car up until recently, 35-40 min drive to work everyday. We had to do major work to it at the beginning of this year (Check Eng light was on, major vacuum leak, rough idle, rear brake hardware missing, ball joint, new suspension parts, tires, alignment) I am now driving it, about a mile to work everyday and maybe the most I go inbetween 25-30 miles on the weekends just running errands.

Occasionally there is also a little bit of smoke, passenger side where the antifreeze smell is also coming from. Hubby has flushed the heater core twice due to little/no heat in the winter. Car takes forever to defrost the windows in the winter, which is why I am now driving it. (lol) The antifreeze smell does not happen all the time either. There is no smell in the cabin, and the passenger floor has never been wet. The car has never overheated.

Could this all just be a heater core issue? Could we have a slow leak in a hose somewhere back there too? I don't think this could be a water pump issue, could it? If it was the water pump, wouldn't the car have overheated during one of those 35-40 min drives when hubby got stuck in traffic?? (I had a water pump go on my old Cavalier and it started to overheat and I got out and there was a huge puddle of antifreeze on the parking lot)

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
hi,

you may have a very small leak at the water pump weep hole,
after car is run for a short time and turned off, the weep holes will
be wet, easy to see with flashlight. Since you see smoke and have
the coolant odor this may be the problem.

The pressure cap on the degas bottle may not be holding pressure,
I had zero pressure on my 99 taurus and only 8lbs on the 99 sable.

You may also have very small leak in radiator, you've got to get
under the car to take a look, could also be small leak at hoses.

regards

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a similar problem with my chevy truck and it truned out to be a small leak in the heater core. I got it fixed at a dealership, then it leaked again 2 months later. The idiots at the shop tried to fix it with Stop-leak and that ended up clogging up my radiator tubes and causing overheating issues. I did have the smell and occasional "smoke" out of the vents too. Never had a puddle on the floor until the second time it leaked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will take a good look at it this weekend and see if I can spot anything using a flashlight.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you check out the coolant tank and waterpump and don't see any leaking at those components, you may have the dreaded timing chain cover gasket leak on the Vulcan engine (which is in the SES - I have the same car model and year).

It's hard to spot because coolant leaking from a faulty gasket will run along the side of the timing chain cover and then drip directly on the exhaust or cat which produces the antifreeze smell and steam.

Depending on the extent of the leak, you could go months with the coolant slowly dropping and then becoming more extensive. It probably doesn't need to be fixed ASAP but if you need to have a shop fix it, it will be around a grand.

One other area to check is the heater bypass hose which runs along the firewall. The steel components will corrode and leak in some cases.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had the same problem. (02 SES Vulcan) If you can't find it but see stains on the right exhaust it is likely coming from the timing chain cover as rickpark explained. I went DIY, parts and gaskets, inluding new timing sprocket/chain and water pump are all less than $100. Dealer estimated it could cost around $2000. Is a tough job for even a shade tree mechanic, took me 12 hours. Need a few special tools and lots of patience.

·
Registered
697 Posts
12 hours is about right - but you saved $100/hr - more if you remember you would have paid a dealer with after-tax earnings.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Changing PS fluid over to Mercon V has worked for a lot of noisy pumps.
Instead of a full flush and having to bleed air out I did mine by sucking out the reservoir a couple times and refilling with the Mercon over a few weekends. Sort of a slow flush the lazy man's way.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've had Mercon V in it for about a year. Before that used what Mercon III I had left because was told "Use what the mfr suggests". With that fill tried an additive. Finally bled it out and ran Mercon V thru. It makes the same buzz no matter what is in it. Ford service is reluctant to comment but told me they only get a quiet job about 50% of the time. In other words, no guarantees. I'm having trouble accepting that I'm the only one up against this problem......

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Changing PS fluid over to Mercon V has worked for a lot of noisy pumps.
Instead of a full flush and having to bleed air out I did mine by sucking out the reservoir a couple times and refilling with the Mercon over a few weekends. Sort of a slow flush the lazy man's way.
Re:
" slow flush the lazy man's way"

Wow did not I was 'lazy'.;)

I have done that and will do that for my 3 Fords every year. If I suck out the resivor and replace each fall, it will always be reasonably fresh.

As for noise, one should be sure it is not air in the fluid. The only way I have been successful is to suck the fluid our, replentish it, run it few minutes min, repeat. You can usually see foam on top of the fluid in the resivor if it has any air in it.

I will do my trannys inbetween the 30K filter change also. It does not cost that much, takes a little effort for the tranny. For that, I measure what I take out, and put back just what I removed. That assumes I have checked the level recently before.

Happy hydraulics.

-chart-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 sable. I had the cooling system flushed and new radiator and heater hoses installed. After I had the work done I would smell antifreeze and see wisps of steam coming from under the hood. Took it back where I had the work done and the guy said it was my soft plug seeping. He also said he might have used too much pressure when he flushed it but he would only charge me 300.00 to fix it. WTF! I went the cheap route. $3.00 for bars leak or $300.00 . It's my work car with just under 134,000 miles. I've owned it since 1998 and it's been a great car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts