Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
I did some research on Spectra and Murray, and both are made in China, Rock auto has another brand that appears to be decent (is about 50 shipped). Don't know how that would work.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I did research too on every part manufacturer, and in my opinion everything made in china this days even Federal Mogul (Moog), All so called "Germam" companies including Bosch made in china too. I guess Motorcraft is just re-badged parts not real manufacturer so fall in same category.

There real question nowadays days if they have factory in China that produces quality parts using strong steel. I bet big companies do.

There's some mid-range part manufacturers in Italy and few other countries, but they far not as good as Chinese quality parts from Bosch for example.

In Los Angeles AutoZone only has Duralast (Chinese Autozone Brand) and Valuecraft pumps for Taurus, no Specrtra pumps.

Here the marketing catch, "<company name> Germany" does not mean they make products in Germany its just means company is registered in Germany, but factory can be in Taiwan.

Same for Spectra i am afraid look at their website http://www.spectrapremium.com on homepage there's slider where its saying
Engineered and designed in North America, word Engineered could have many meanings, they would say Made in USA if they had nothing to hide.

If you want to check just shoot email to any manufacturer you like and ask if they make parts here or import from China, its not a secret they will tell you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I did research too on every part manufacturer, and in my opinion everything made in china this days even Federal Mogul (Moog), All so called "Germam" companies including Bosch made in china too. I guess Motorcraft is just re-badged parts not real manufacturer so fall in same category.

There real question nowadays days if they have factory in China that produces quality parts using strong steel. I bet big companies do.

There's some mid-range part manufacturers in Italy and few other countries, but they far not as good as Chinese quality parts from Bosch for example.

In Los Angeles AutoZone only has Duralast (Chinese Autozone Brand) and Valuecraft pumps for Taurus, no Specrtra pumps.

Here the marketing catch, "<company name> Germany" does not mean they make products in Germany its just means company is registered in Germany, but factory can be in Taiwan.

Same for Spectra i am afraid look at their website http://www.spectrapremium.com on homepage there's slider where its saying
Engineered and designed in North America, word Engineered could have many meanings, they would say Made in USA if they had nothing to hide.

If you want to check just shoot email to any manufacturer you like and ask if they make parts here or import from China, its not a secret they will tell you.
Spectra was the brand which made the heater core I bought in June. It started leaking almost immediately.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anyway the water pump replacement is so easy i dont see problem using aftermarket part from known manufacturer that has "limited lifetime warranty", in worse case i can change it again.

I'd go with ACDelco, but i dont feel like waiting week to order it online and Motorcraft does not sell just piece of pump they only sell full pump.

As i thought pump started to leak in same exact spot as pump in my older car, from place marked with the arrow i dont understand why they make this hole in the water pumps it always starts to leak from there.

Don't think old pump was a factory pump?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Heh, I though you were advising me to buy in previous post. :)
No. I was advising you that Spectra has had problems with their products. Was looking online at several sites and other people have had issues with the Spectra parts as well; they tend to leak easy.

On the water pumps, I tend to go with new units instead of rebuilt units. Those rebuilts I have had over 30 years have failed quite easily and not long after they were put in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The weep hole is between the seal and bearing. It keeps coolant from getting into the bearing, and causing it to fail.
I see well it would leak anyway regardless of the hole...

Was the old pump stock or aftermarket based on brand?

I wonder what caused the leak bad cap on expansion tank or concentration of chemicals?

I will try to take old piece it apart and see tonight.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
I'd go with ACDelco, but i dont feel like waiting week to order it online and Motorcraft does not sell just piece of pump they only sell full pump.
NO ONE sells pieces of a coolant pump for obvious reasons.
Don't think old pump was a factory pump?

Why not? Isn't FoMoCo - "Ford Motor Company" - enough of a tip-off?

As far as replacement pumps failing prematurely, make sure it's mounted on the engine properly, and that the pulley is in line with the other pulleys and idlers. If there is any axial force from the belt on cheap aftermarket-pump bearings, they will be over-stressed and fail far earlier than they should. That weep hole is there for a reason; to let you know the bearings are worn and the pump's verging on the failure point. Don't ignore the message.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Just as an aside, just because it says FoMoCo, doesn't mean anything.

Generally, when auto parts are rebuilt, the housing may not be replaced.

My rebuilt started had a Ford engraving on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
NO ONE sells pieces of a coolant pump for obvious reasons.
Actually on rockauto only non pieces was Motorcraft (probably to rip off more money or in case your housing broken/missing somehow) everyone else was pieces as on picture, including big companies.

There's nothing else to the pump except that part and gasket rest is just housing really, if you know how to set right torque on the bolts you can save time and money by replacing just piece of the pump.

Why not? Isn't FoMoCo - "Ford Motor Company" - enough of a tip-off?
Thanks for tip i never seen "FoMoCo" abbreviation in the past.

That weep hole is there for a reason; to let you know the bearings are worn and the pump's verging on the failure point. Don't ignore the message.
Can you explain how does the hole let you know if bearings are worn?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Chemicals again? What chemicals?
Well i did put too much antifreeze and not a lot of water. Proportion was towards antifreeze maybe 70antifreeze /30water for year and a half, it supposed to kill head gasket, but could have killed the water pump. They dont just leak unless you have problem with rust or some sand in the system that kills the pump gasket. and my system was clean i guess chemical damage was the case, plus the cap was aftermarket and got old.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
If the bearings are worn, they'll let fluid pass by them and the housing. I probably should have said the bearing SEAL, btw.

Just as an aside, just because it says FoMoCo, doesn't mean anything.

Generally, when auto parts are rebuilt, the housing may not be replaced.

My rebuilt started had a Ford engraving on it.
Read his post, he said it was his old pump. I took that to mean his original pump. Unless and until his English improves, I have nothing else to go on. If it's his original pump, it's not rebuilt.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
I doubt that mix would kill anything. Pumps leak from the weep hole because the impeller shaft seal fails from age/use and the weep hole allows the coolant to be evacuated so it doesn't destroy the bearing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Read his post, he said it was his old pump. I took that to mean his original pump. Unless and until his English improves, I have nothing else to go on. If it's his original pump, it's not rebuilt.
Yap it was the pump from my car, but so what car is 13 years old it could have pump replaced by rebuild original pump before i bought it two years ago hehehe :p

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Yap it was the pump from my car, but so what car is 13 years old it could have pump replaced by rebuild original pump before i bought it two years ago hehehe :p
It could have been replaced, but with the problems you had with it - it could be the original. Lord knows, with what all you've done to the car already I've lost track ~

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Oki dok i replaced the pump took me 30 minutes to put new one in, key is to keep the nuts nice and clean when you put them back. I tied the nuts by hand using ratchet.

Now i will pay a close look to it, if it does not leak for week i just put belt cover back and forget about it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts