Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1990 Ford Taurus. I have notice after i drive the car on a hot day or hard, there will be a dripping coming from either the radiator itself or maybe a connecting line underneath. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and maybe how to fix it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
On a hot day,like if you were running the air conditioning?

If not, find the hole in the hose/pipe/gasket/fitting/whatever where the fluid is leaking out.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Check yer expansion tank.
90 has an expansion tank that is at atmospheric pressure, and those very rarely leak unless you happened to wack it with a hammer. only 96+ have the leak prone pressurized degas tanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a Gen1 Taurus and had to replace the radiator 3 times. They all leaked from the same spot---the end tank near the upper rad hose. It's deceptive because it dries off from the heat up there but you see dribbling at the bottom of the rad.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright thanks, I’ll check under the radiator and the caps, and my temp. gauge goes way up even at night, and when i run my a/c, the fluid comes out really fast.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
If the temp gauge goes to the top of the scale that quickly, it's a good bet the thermostat is defective.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so maybe the thermostat and a radiator line or cap. when i started it yesterday i only let it run for maybe a minuet and the antifreeze can dripping out pretty quickly

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I talked to some mechanics at checker and they said it was probably the water pump and I don't know the history of the water pump but I know that the car was well taken care of

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
ok I talked to some mechanics at checker and they said it was probably the water pump and I don't know the history of the water pump but I know that the car was well taken care of
Stuff can wear out in 20 years.....

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah thanks, does anyone know where i can get a free guide on how to replace a water pump or step by step directions on how to do it? thanks

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
If youre going to keep the car awhile, i would invest $20 in a haynes or chiltons repair manual. You can also do a search here for vulcan water pump removal. There was a how-to by rudedog in the past.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts