Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! First time poster. I need your help. I have an antifreeze leak in a hose that sits up against the firewall on the passenger side. The hose is really two hoses in one. One side is rubber, the other side is metal, crimped together. The metal part of this hose has corroded to the point of disintegration. I'm including a few pictures. You can see I "band-aided" it with a piece of black duct tape. What is this hose called and is there a part number for it? Any help is really appreciated.

2003 Taurus V6 3.0 Flexfuel

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
i jus reaplce a hose that went from my radiator to my thermostat housing it was rubber steel rubber on my 99 dohc the replacement was $160 so my mechanic used wat was left of the old pipe (it wasnt rotted like the other part) bought a steel pipe and a rubber pipe and made his own and also bought new clamps tell me if this helps. deal with someone who knw wat they are doin!

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
Replace with all rubber heater hose and zip tie the new hose out of the way so it isnt touching any moving parts, the exhaust manifold, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I had thought about going with the rubber hose idea but I also wanted to explore the idea of hitting the junkyard for the part. Before I do anything though I'd like to find out what this part is called and the part number if at all possible. I'd hate to call a parts place asking for "that hose thingy".:( Maybe someone has a Chilton book?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Bars leak works wonders on antifreeze leaks. they make many products, look up their website.
Sorry, but those hoses are too far gone for a bottle fix. Bars might stop the leak for the time being, but it won't do a thing when you rust a big hole in the hose and you start leaving your coolant on the highway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just poured in a bottle of the Prestone stop leak for radiators. Hopefully it will plug it long enough so I can get it repaired properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the stop leak slowed the "slow pour" from the hose down to a "drip-drip". At least that should give me a little time. The dealer says they have the part in stock for $110 and $90 labor plus tax. That still seems to be a bit high. I think I'm gonna try a junkyard and fix it myself.:huh:

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
Stop leak also tends to plug heater cores, especially if the passages are partly plugged already, which is common on the Vulcan if the cooling system hasnt been properly maintained. Be prepared for at minimum flushing the core if you find you have little to no heat.

·
Registered
22,444 Posts
Shood341, might check parts stores or rockauto for the hose/pipe assy. The ones available in a self service salvage yard may not be in much better condition than yours. Cooling parts not usually a good viable junkyard option.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's the heater bypass hose. Dorman part 626-207. Available at Amazon.

Don't wait for too long or expect the stop leak to work wonders. The corroded part is steel and if it's leaking, the wall thickness is paper thin in spots and could blow out without warning.

It's a PITA to replace - you'll have to remove the intake plenum and other parts. So while you're at it, consider replacing the spark plugs back there as you'll have more clearance.

Here's a post I wrote covering the replacement. See tips #3 and #7.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just purchased the Dorman part this afternoon from Oreily's Auto Parts store. Cost $60. I plan on replacing it on Sunday. That's the first chance I can get to it. Hopefully the stop leak can hold till then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok...so today was the day. Rickpark was right it was a PITA to replace. I could have gotten it for $40 plus shipping from Rockauto but I really need to get this done today. So $60 on my terms was the way to go. I also used a you tube video from 1aauto.com. It wasn't as easy as the video but it did give me the confidence to take care of this myself. My thanks to all that have responded to this post. The part is called a Heater Hose Assy. I included a a few pix.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
shood341
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing