Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 97 LX with a power antenna, but it's bent a little and always sticks on the way up and never fully extends. Instead of buying a new power antenna to replace it, does anybody know if I can replace it with a stubby "european" style antenna? Has anybody ever done that before? Anything I need to know?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You can replace it with a fixed mast or the stubby rubber ones if you get a junk yard fixed mast base. The power antenna base will not accept the screw in fixed mast or rubber ducky antenna.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I was there Friday and they had a red gen 3(vulcan).

So, once I get the base, the stationary antenna just unscrews and I can put in whatever antenna after that?

Do you happen to know how to open the trunk without the key? All the doors were open, but the key that was in junk car didn't work on the trunk, and the trunk button around the head lights switch didn't work either. I'd hate to try to pry it open and just screw something up, and crawling in through the backseats working in darkness sucks too.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes, you can get any aftermarket antenna you like, they will all fit. Pick one up from circuit city. you will need an antenna adapter thoe cause the taurus has a non standard antenna connector. I believe the metra part number (carried at any circuit city) is MET-40FD20

Luck
Brad

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
the only way that I know of to open the trunk without a key is to lower the back seats and get into the trunk to pull the safety release tab to pop the trunk lid. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, went to the junkyard today. My friend said he just yanked on a cable near the latch from inside the trunk, not sure i that was the safety tab you were talkin about, but we got it open. I stripped out a bunch of parts that I needed and got the stationary antenna installed. I also found a little rubber stubby antenna off of a different car, but I'm not sure I want to install it yet. I think it's too floppy, I don't know what it would look like in the wind. Anyway, the "new" antenna picks up stations a lot better than my bent power antenna. Best part of it was the price, I think for the whole antenna, base and cable it was like three or four bucks.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've used the power antenna, fixed mast and the rubber 18" one all on the same car. The rubber one does bend in the wind but also is the best at picking up stations.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the stubby I got is only 12" and it's used so I don't know if it will out perform the stock stationary antenna, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway. I'm headed out to radio shack to see if they have those adapter bolts spy guy was talkin about.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, radio shack was no help. They're too busy peddling stupid RC toys, so they sent me to home depot. Home depot didn't have anything. So I went to Pep Boys, but all they had were complete antenna kits. I bought the kit, but I'm trying to decide if I like the stubby I got from the junkyard more than the stubby I just bought. Either way, I got a stubby. It's pretty cool, the faster you go the further it leans back because of the wind resistance.

When I was at Pep Boys, they were selling an ultra short antenna. I sh*t you not, that thing was 3" or shorter. But it said it was amplified or something. It was pretty goofy lookin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts