Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 amps one for the speakers in the rear deck and the remote for that is tapped into fuse 11 in the passenger compartment fusebox, it works fine and the amp turns on when the car turns on turns off when the car turns off

the other amp is new for powering my subs and is needs a 20 amp fuse, could i tap into fuse 13?.......would it turn on when i start the car and off when the car is off???

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You don't want to tap into an existing fuse to power a 20A circuit. Use a relay.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
A relay uses a low amperage 12V signal (either + or -) to power the relay coil. This coil magnetically opens or closes a set of contacts that carry the higher amperage current to power your device.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

alright so i would relay to the engine compartment fusebox with a 30amp fuse and run a switch to power the amp......

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You don't necessarily need a switch unless you wold like to turn it off and leave the other amp on. Use the same wire that turns on the other amp to control the relay. Or better yet use two relays, one for each amp.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I don't think a remote wire needs to be 20 amps. What kind of amp is it?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I thought he was running the amp off the other wire. I see now he is just using it for the remote turn on.

Just use the same wire to trigger the relay for the other amp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think a remote wire needs to be 20 amps. What kind of amp is it?
[/b]
its an mtx amp

I thought he was running the amp off the other wire. I see now he is just using it for the remote turn on.

Just use the same wire to trigger the relay for the other amp.
[/b]
in a nutshell all i have to do is tap into the original remote wire to the first amp, and it will turn both amps on and off?

i was worried it would blow the fuse i tappped into

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes assuming you second amp is powered from somewhere else and you are just using the original wire for the remote turn on.

But you said your second amp had a 20 A fuse you were going to run the wire too.

Do both amps have a remote turn on feature?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Feb 15 2009, 04:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=702517
Yes assuming you second amp is powered from somewhere else and you are just using the original wire for the remote turn on.

But you said your second amp had a 20 A fuse you were going to run the wire too.

Do both amps have a remote turn on feature?[/b]

they both have remote turn on, and i was going to run the remote to a 20A but i wasnt sure if it would work, i have a power wire ran to the trunk from the battery, and the original amp has a remote wire from a 15A fuse, fuse number 11 i believe.

so if i take the 2nd amp and attach it to the power then tap into the same fuse as the original amp as a remote, will it blow the fuse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts