Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one isn't near as clean as the others here. BUT, it IS a whole lot nicer than it was when I found it sitting in the weeds full of bees with a bad tranny.

This is the post I made in the wheels section. Please check out the Photobucket slideshow. Since then, I replaced the round chrome rusted tips with stainless steel ovals and they look SO MUCH better. I need to get a picture posted soon.

I just bought these 15 inchers for my 1997 Wagon at Tire Rack for $79.00 each. My wife drives a maroon 2001 SES and it has the 16's.

My factory rims on my 97 wagon looked dinky compared to hers, so I checked around for some 16's. One junkyard wanted $150.00 EACH for used ones! I have a little over 700.00 in the rims and a set of 215/65/15 Cooper Cobra's.

The nice thing about my new rims, the holes go almost all the way to the edge making the rims 'appear' to be bigger than 15's. The tires are 1/2 inch bigger than stock so they fill the wells very nicely.

I'm old school, hence the raised white letters!

Here's a slideshow showing the purple sedan donor car, where it is now and the wagon the day I got it. It took a couple of cans of bee spray to get rid of the 'buzz'. Then it shows the wagon under the knife and finally how it looks today. This weekend I hope to buff the paint and get a good coat of wax on it. Maybe work on the exhaust tips too.

I call it 'The Gold Wagon with the Purple Heart' :p

http://s583.photobucket.com/albums/ss276/L...mview=slideshow

This car has had extensive mechanical work done to it. The entire subframe came from my 96 sedan. I had already replaced the trans and freshened up the 12V 3.0 and had installed new struts, springs and bearings before I found out the underside of the 96 where the right rear subframe bolts to was completely rusted away. The rockers were shot under those black plastic panels too. I would Imagine there are MANY like that, but until you remove those panels you don't know it.

So, I found this 97 wagon sitting in the weeds behind a barn (that was also home to thousands of bees) with a bad tranny and 193K miles on it. Got the car for 600.00 and tore the whole front end off of it. Did the same to my 96 and shoehorned the whole drivetrain from the 96 to the 97. The only thing I found was after it was all done and driveable, my AC wouldn't come on. Come to find out that the engine wiring harness between the two models and years had the pins for everything in the same place except for the AC compressor. After a few hours with a test light, I found the two wires, ran them outside of the big screw together plug on top of the tranny and everything is now COOL!

(UPDATE! the SES light is on, and when I tried to read the codes, it reads 'no link' in the reader. I guess there must be another problem with hooking the 96 engine wiring harness into the 97 wagon.)

The gas tank was removed, scraped and painted with chassis black paint and a new fuel pump was installed. The rear shocks were replaced and I had just recently installed a dual exhaust system (from the rear axle back only) on the 96 so I took that and put it under the 97. In the next few weeks I will look to put new SS tips to replace the new but already rusted chrome ones on there now. I replaced all the brake lines and the master cylinder too.

Looking back, it probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but I just couldn't see selling the car(the 96sedan) for scrap, even though at that time I could have gotten around 300.00 for it, after all the time and money I had already put into it. We own a sheet metal shop, and I had plans on just rebuilding all the rusted out areas, but without a lift, I just didn't want to mess with it.

Cool? :thumb: or FOOL! :blink:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
WELCOME and where in Ohio are you? I saw your original pics and all the work you have done. I would be glad to offer any help if your close enough. Keep that wagon running, not to many left out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live just a few miles south of Findlay.

Haven't decided whether to keep it or not yet. Bought it to fix up and sell to try to recoup some of the money I had put into the sedan.

But I love driving it and I have a few more things I want to do it yet.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I'm just south of Cleveland, so some afternoon work sessions seem to be out..LOL. I love my wagon, this is my second, first was a '92 seafoam green with basket weave wheels. I had a blast with that ride, but this one looks much better and has so much more done to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts