Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 gl with the 3.8 and an automatic, the transmission is dead. it was dying for a very long time, but recently it refused to shift out of first gear, so im down to first, reverse, nutral, and park. not exactly good for getting around town.

here comes the main question: i would much rather have a manual than an automatic, and since i need to buy a new transmission, id rather buy what i want. So i know its possible, simply because anything is possible with enough time and money, but how practical is it? im not scared off by the work, but im wondering stuff more like: if i buy a manual transmission, will it phisically bolt to the engine and all that?

could someone link me to a thread about a tranny swap at least?

B

·
0 Posts
Honestly, I don't know of anyone that's done it. However, the SHO mtx may fit. Some say yes, some say no. In a month or so, I'll have a 3.8 and a 3.0 out of a car, and I have a spare SHO mtx so we'll find out for sure. I know this doesn't help you much now, but it's the best I can think of.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well, just off the top of my head. Not having owned or driven an SHO or a man. SLO. But First, you would need the center console w/COMPLETE shifter assembly. That would probably mean you'd need buckets. Then, you'd need the entire gas/brake/clutch pedal assembly that mounts around the steering column. That might mean a different column, I don't KNOW. You might also have to modify the bracketry under the dash where the pedal assy. mounts. One way or another it would be possible, but you also wanted to know the practicallity of the swap.
If you look at all the time and labor you would be putting into it, 1. would it be worth it? 2. are you capable of it, 3.are you that willing to "dare to be different"??!!

I don't want the last part to sound discouraging or anything, I had an '86LX that I wanted to make RWD w/a 351w/C6 combo, I just knew it would've taken ME a lifetime to afford it, ...unless i won the lottery of course.

Anyway if you do decide to undertake this, I wish you all the luck!!!!!

B

·
0 Posts
The nice thing is on the Gen 1/2 cars is that they came as a stick. Most of the bracketry is there already to do this. Plus, parts are not that expensive. A good used SHO trans is about $300-$400, the console and shifter should be able to be had around the same price (for a rod shifter, cable would be even cheaper).

The main question is, to me anyhow, will everything bolt up without modification engine and trans wise. That's where things start to get pricey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i asked because i am at a fork in the road. i have 3 directions i can go. i paid $600 (grandparents) for the car with 75k miles on it, it had an engine rebuild 15k miles before that. i havent invested much time or money yet. so my choices are: get out now before its too late, buy an automatic transmission that was mad eo to go there, or buy and try to fit a manual transmission. dont ask me why, but for some reason i have an attachment to this car. i took it to a tranny shop (and after being quoted $570) was told it would be around $2200-$2500. i could buy a better car for that much. a same year SHO with fewer miles on it costs less than that. if i do the work myself it would cost me $120 for a junkyard transmission, and its a gamble if it would work. i called pheonix hard parts, a $650 transmission will cost me a whole bunch (i think it was like $1400 out of pocket because of the core charge and shipping, but i could be remembering it wrong) i know you get the core charge back, but it still has to be paid, so that puts it in the "too expensive" area. if i could get the parts i need to swap to a manual for around $1000ish, i would probably go for it, but i dont want to commit myself to something that is gonna cost me $3500 in the long run. i have limited funds, and i have about $7500(or more) worth of dental work comming up, so i cant afford to just throw money at something till it works.

manual transmission swap seems way too expensive right now, just because its an unproven idea. if i get a better job soon, ill see if i can turn it into a proven idea, but right now i think one of those junkyard trannies is starting to look like a good idea, im getting fed up with walking everywhere or asking for rides.

i seem to have started to bag on my own idea, but its 2am and when i get tired i get ultra cynical

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hummm... Yep, 3 options...but,
...recently it refused to shift out of first gear, so im down to first, reverse, nutral, and park. not exactly good for getting around town.  ...[/b]
Sounds like your trans is not "totally blown away" so my three (3) options (if I were in your shoes) would be: 1. Rebuild it myself (nice excuse to pick up a couple more tools I've been wanting, and I'll be able to hang-out in the garage and NOT have to sit and watch TV with the wife). 2. Pull the tranny and ship it to a rebuilder, like pheonix hard parts, to avoid the core charge (there are others so shop around... also check your local phone book, you might find a local small independent tranny shop that will match those online offers--I did!). 3. Get another car; meaning part-out this one because of that engine for one--$$$.

IMHO, given your situation with that much
smile maintenance
in your future, I wouldn't attempt to go to a Mtx. If you are in/at that level, you should be able to handle an AXOD(E) rebuild yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts