Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here we go with another problem story... I don't think it's too bad though...

I was heading home from school tonight and was making a turn at less than 10 mph and it had been snowing and thanks to my crappy firestone tires I slid into a curb. The alignment was instantly screwed up and I had to turn the wheel way sideways to go straight and after I got down the road a little bit it felt like the wheel was coming off so I pulled over into a parking lot, but everything seemed ok, I think the alignment is just really screwed up. So I called my friend who also just left school and he came and got me and I'm going to use AAA to get the car towed to the stealership in the morning. It feels messed up enough that I don't want to drive it, so I'm not going to risk screwing it up when I can get it towed for free. Anything I should watch for or be aware of w/ repairs, etc?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jason, That sucks man!! I'm sorry to hear that about you're car. But you're smart for not wanting to drive it, if there's something wrong, you don't want to ruin it even more. Good Job!!
Hopefully there's no major damage. You gotta love snow <_< Lets us know the outcome!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Youre lookin at definitely replacing at least the outer tie rods, and im sure the dealership will replace the inners too. You will need an alignment. Might have bent the lower control arm, maybe shocks, or a ball joint. And maybe that plastic suspension piece, i forget what its called. Cant think when im tired.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Capital Punishment@Jan 14 2004, 09:22 PM
Youre lookin at definitely replacing at least the outer tie rods, and im sure the dealership will replace the inners too. You will need an alignment. Might have bent the lower control arm, maybe shocks, or a ball joint. And maybe that plastic suspension piece, i forget what its called. Cant think when im tired.
that sucks
Any ideas on cost? <_<

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and on a side note... I WILL NOT let this affect our January meet in Detroit for the Midwest TCCA.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Jan 14 2004, 09:26 PM-->QUOTE (jason8225 @ Jan 14 2004, 09:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Capital Punishment
@Jan 14 2004, 09:22 PM
that sucks
Any ideas on cost? <_< [/b]
Let me see if i remember...

Outer Tie rods - Around 30 bucks a piece (Same for inner)

Lower Control Arm - 120 bucks a piece

Ball Joint - 50 bucks

Struts - As far as struts go, you dont just replace one. You at least replace a pair, i.e., both fronts in your case. Figure about 80 bucks a piece, 160 alltogether.

I dont think all those components will be damaged though, just a few of them. But then theres labor....

And then the alignment will probably cost around 30 bucks i think, depending where you go. I cant remember what i payed for mine at mr tire.

Did you damage the rim?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. The only damage to the rim I think is just that it is scraped pretty bad. I see those going for about $100 on ebay, so that's probably what I'll do about that if it's damaged beyond the cosmetic, if it's just cosmetic, I'll wait til spring to replace it.

I think I'm going to get new tires tomorrow, too. I always thought my tires sucked on snow and I think that this whole problem might have been avoided with better tires.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Sorry to hear that man

When you get the car back try my wheel set up. Believe me, it helps a lot.

I have tried this and was hitting like 80s on parkway last night in snow. no problems good stability

When choosing tires, the best tires i can recommend you is the following

Tire Manufacturer: CONTINENTAL: Contitouring Contanct.
Preferred Size: CV95
Price is usually around: 95 per tire or so depending on the dealer.

Front, use: 215-55-16
Back, used: 225-55-16

This setup has proven to increase stability on all surfaces (wet/dry) the grip might be too good that the body lean might increase. So don't go crazy on the car like me

I am guessing you have an SHO or SES? if so, go with this set up. It works for me.

My Back tire however is a Dunlop AS 90 (I think...but it is a dunlop) Continental Contitouring is a very good tire for its value and is usually used for High performance vehicles. But again you if you have money to throw around and are a speed nut like me
, go for the Pirelli (P7000 series lowest price is 95 dollars on the web)...they are european race tires moddified for civilian car
. They are awesome tires too.

Definitely sorry about accident i am glad everyone is OK and no body is hurt. It could have been worse but i am happy that you are fine.

ftv

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 15 2004, 09:41 AM
no way a 10 mile an hr curb hit cannot srew up so much!!
Just dont blindly take it to the stealership
well it must have been really really icy or he probably thought it was 10 mph ....happened to me many times but my car has never gone out of control.....in my scenario i have had HUGE body leans but no lose of control/power(max speed tried on 90 degree turn 30 mph DRY or 20 WET....DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR LOCAL ROADS WITH STOCK TIRE SET UP...i was only testing this out in an OPEN field with no body near me)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slid into curb

For someone who been there done that, I found out my alignment was off causing undo sliding in snow at slow speeds. If you think the Strut are bad, they are not too bad to replace yourself, do that first and then get you car aligned.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heard back from the dealership and they said I'm looking at $400-500 in damage b/c the strut is damaged and so is the steering knuckle, so I'm filing an insurance claim... here we go...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by fordtaurusvulcan+Jan 15 2004, 10:39 AM-->QUOTE (fordtaurusvulcan @ Jan 15 2004, 10:39 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-sundarpn
@Jan 15 2004, 09:41 AM
no way a 10 mile an hr curb hit cannot srew up so much!!
Just dont blindly take it to the stealership
well it must have been really really icy or he probably thought it was 10 mph ....happened to me many times but my car has never gone out of control.....in my scenario i have had HUGE body leans but no lose of control/power(max speed tried on 90 degree turn 30 mph DRY or 20 WET....DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR LOCAL ROADS WITH STOCK TIRE SET UP...i was only testing this out in an OPEN field with no body near me) [/b]
it definitely was very icy <_<

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got a pretty good price on Continental Contitouring from a local tire shop. About $350 installed w/ 60k mile warranty & road hazard

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Jan 15 2004, 01:33 PM
got a pretty good price on Continental Contitouring from a local tire shop.  About $350 installed w/ 60k mile warranty & road hazard
Why don't you go for the ContiExtremeContacts? TireRack has them for around $84 a piece, and they are one of the best rated performance all-season tires available.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Jan 15 2004, 04:10 PM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Jan 15 2004, 04:10 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Jan 15 2004, 01:33 PM
got a pretty good price on Continental Contitouring from a local tire shop.  About $350 installed w/ 60k mile warranty & road hazard
Why don't you go for the ContiExtremeContacts? TireRack has them for around $84 a piece, and they are one of the best rated performance all-season tires available. [/b]
I probably will

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Can we make an insureance claim for all these things. WOW! :cool:

How is this covered under insurance??

Oh So backing into a curb, wall, tree, fire hydrant are all covered??

So can I say, I hit a pot hole hard, and now my struts need changing and claim gieco
. duh i have 500 deductible.. anyways.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
The more I hear about these insurance woes the more I appreciate mine. I have a $100 deductible.

Jason - that sucks man. Make sure the suspension is aligned perfectly or the car is going to do
on you when you hop on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Jan 15 2004, 01:31 PM
Heard back from the dealership and they said I'm looking at $400-500 in damage b/c the strut is damaged and so is the steering knuckle, so I'm filing an insurance claim... here we go...
sorry to hear that jason....but wouldn't it be better if you just pay for it yourself since going via insurance is supposed to hike up the rates ???

(I know in NJ it would. But again, NJ is a bad state for Auto Insurance)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts