Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay;
I've had the same intermittent wiper problems every other wiper post has tried to fix. Finally I popped for a used motor for the wipers on my 92 gen 2. One from a 1991, same wiring harnesses gauranteed to work,
I pulled off the cowling, removed the wiper arms, removed the old motor. Now the old motor has been stuck in up position for two weeks. I had no idea what the native stop position of the motor actuator arm was. The new motor spun fine, and stopped with the armature attaching end towards the passenger side of vehicle. I reinstalled cowling and arms, fired her up and the wipers started pulling and crushing the cowling. They were trying to wipe the hood! :blink:

So round two: <_<
I removed the arms, cowling motor, played with it for an hour or so, still kept trying to wipe downward from park position first instead of up. I finally decided to try changing the stop position by removing the actuator arm from the wiper motor shaft. It came off easily enough, so I turned everything 180 degrees, so now the stop position of the motor actuator is now facing drivers side. Re installed everything, and now the wipers would start from the park position to the proper wiping positions in all speeds :banana:
but :unsure:
when I turned the switch off , the motor would park with the wipers straight up and down! :(

So where did I go wrong? does anyone knoow wether the connecting arm parks pointing to the driver side or passenger side of the car.
do the wipers usually wipe downward first then up (incase Im insane for thinking wipers should go from down to up, not down to down :p )
If anyone has experience swapping these wipermotors please give a hand, I will humbly be in your debt :notworthy:

Ps: I can easily push the wipers down to normal park position after turning the switch off, and they will work again when I turn them on again. but thats a pain in the :bootyshake:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The wipers parking in the up position is indicative of a bad position sensor, which is integral to the wiper motor. Did you get a warranty on that used motor you put in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes; I got a waranty, that will be my first stop this morning, but get this;
the wipers are now parking normally when shut off, but straiight up when on slow intermittent. I will swap and then and post if its fixed.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So where did I go wrong? does anyone knoow wether the connecting arm parks pointing to the driver side or passenger side of the car.
Don't worry about which way the wiper tranmission linkages point when the wipers are parked. Likely what happened was when you installed the motor, you had the new motor stopped at the full up position, even tho the linkage looked like it should be parked. So when you turned on the wipers, it would want to go back down. Since you already had the wiper arms installed at the bottom of the windshield, it tried to push them farther down. Here's what to do. Take everything back apart, and restore whatever you changed back to the way it was. Mount the motor and the wiper transmission back into the car and plug it in. Don't put the wiper arms on yet. Turn on the key, then turn on the wipers. You should see the little stubs where the wiper arms mount turning. Now turn the wiper switch off. The motor and little stubs should continue to turn until they have reached the normally parked position, then stop. Turn the wipers on again and back off a couple times to make sure they keep stopping in the right place. Once you have verified that they do, put the arms and and try it, and i'm sure you'll find everything is ok now. If however the wipers don't stop in the same place all the time, then you have another problem (there's a park sense circuit in the motor that stops the wipers at the parked position - when this fails, which is common, the wipers will not park in the right spot anymore - they stop wherever they want to).

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts