Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody I'm new here. I just bought an 02 sable ls with a duratec.. The oil pan gasket has been replaced but last night I noticed a slow oil leak while idling. It seems to be coming from above the pan gasket but not from the filter. So I took it into a couple shops this morning and the first one said the 'upper oil pan gasket' needs to be replaced.

I've never heard of this but when I looked I can see what looks to be a spacer between the pan and block - and between this spacer and the block it looks like there is a silicone seal?

And of course when I took it to the second shop it wouldnt leak at all......

Has anybody heard of this? Could it maybe be an oil pressure sending unit or something even further above that is leaking? Please help before I empty my wallet without fixing the problem :D

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey everybody I'm new here. I just bought an 02 sable ls with a duratec.. The oil pan gasket has been replaced but last night I noticed a slow oil leak while idling. It seems to be coming from above the pan gasket but not from the filter. So I took it into a couple shops this morning and the first one said the 'upper oil pan gasket' needs to be replaced.

I've never heard of this but when I looked I can see what looks to be a spacer between the pan and block - and between this spacer and the block it looks like there is a silicone seal?

And of course when I took it to the second shop it wouldnt leak at all......

Has anybody heard of this? Could it maybe be an oil pressure sending unit or something even further above that is leaking? Please help before I empty my wallet without fixing the problem :D
It's like a two part block or pan or some dumb thing. I've heard you need to remove the engine to reseal it. Other members know more about it though.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
This is a known problem with the OEM gasket when aging or mileage. If your car is approaching 100K miles or about 10-years old this is common.

I replace my oil pan gasket when it had about 110K miles on it. I got tried of it leaking. My replacement gasket was a Motorcraft and I used the blue silicone gasket sealer.

Replacing the oil pan gasket is a straight forward process after you have removed the Y-pipe or support it with a jack stand. O2 sensors are a bitch to disconnect so I used jack stands to support the Y-pipe.

After replacing the gasket and the engine warms up re-torque the pan bolts one more time and you should be good for a while.

Monsoon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it has 123k.

The oil pan gasket has already been replaced though, no leak from there. I guess my question is has anyone ever taken off this spacer section between the pan and block and is it just silicone between?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Mine is leaking sightly from there too. how bad is the leak? it will be an $$$ job for someone to do.

The block is a 2 piece design, instead of having separate main caps for the crank, they are all connected along with the lower half of the block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I went into a shop today and had em degrease and clean the engine.. $30 it took about an hour they did a good job.. Turns out its the intake thats leaking. Still covered by the dealer so it's getting replaced for free :D

If you find out about getting that block resealed let me know what you find but I do suggest getting the area cleaned if you're not 100%

1 - 6 of 6 Posts