Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ... ugh.

I decided to build a mini-itx HTPC. Did some research and picked out the components I wanted.

Well when I got it, the first thing I noticed is that the motherboard pins were BENT when I took off the cover. So I tried to put them back in place (it has worked before) and put the CPU in.

Next I went to the memory. I opened the little container that the memory came in and ... I found DDR2 ... LAPTOP memory. WTF!? I ordered and paid for desktop DDR2.

So I get some DDR2 from staples (at a crazy price) and put it in and motherboard is dead.

So I just printed up the RMA for the motherboard.

Why oh why do I keep ordering from this place?

And yes I know there will be 100 posts saying how they never got a bad order from newegg. I've never got a good order from newegg.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Actually just received a stick of 1 GB PC2700 RAM today for my moms computer. Came on time and in good shape. Is it the packing that damaged the motherboard or do you think it was from the factory like that?

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Came from the factory like that.

The memory I'm not so mad about - I can use another 2 gig stick. I'll bump one laptop up to 4gb total and throw on server 08 64 bit.

I just need to find a new cpu cooler / heatsync for this thing too - the stock intel gets in the way of the power supply.

I will also be ordering the right memory and maybe a 7200 rpm drive for the bigger laptop.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Newegg has been driving me crazy. Ordered some RAM with 3-7 business day shipping and it took me over two weeks to receive it!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've spend thousands at newegg(not all for myself), and have only had one or 2 duds. Never got the wrong part. And with the few dud parts and my computer case that UPS bent in half, newegg has been quick to fix the problem. I know they gave us free next day shipping on the case with fedex instead of UPS.

I don't know why everyone else is having problems :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Same, I would goto Newegg for most my purchases if I do not need them same day. Otherwise I go to Fry's.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Bought a 1gig stick from them no problems. From 512mb to 1.5gig what a difference :)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Newegg is about to stop using DHL Shitmail (Smartmail) for their Free 3-7 day shipping because DHL is getting out of local shipping for the USA. I can't wait. I ordered 2 items from them, one was UPS Ground, the other DHL Shitmail. I got the UPS item in 2 days, and the DHL item took 4 or 5 days I forget. Shipped within an hour of each other. DHL shipped it from TN to KY, then down to HOLLYWOOD, FL (mind you I live in JACKSONVILLE, FL almost 300 miles away), then they put it into the USPS's hands which got it to me in a day from there. I hope DHL Shitmail burns in hell and dies.

On a positive note, I've literally spent 10-15,000 dollars with Newegg and I will continue to go to them. I've always had GREAT service, and I've only had 3 items EVER from them go bad. The worst one was a 320GB Western Digital Blue hard drive for my grandpa's new computer that died 3 days after I put it in service. Luckily I hadn't delivered it to him yet when it died, because he's the type to bitch about it for the next month.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone I know has never had a problem with newegg.

But it is a bummer on my first PC build to be shipped the wrong memory and a defective motherboard.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Everyone I know has never had a problem with newegg.

But it is a bummer on my first PC build to be shipped the wrong memory and a defective motherboard.
[/b]
Don't sweat it. It's all part of the "fun". Just like your car. Sometimes it works without a hitch and sometimes it will fight you the whole way. I've built at least 15+ computers sourcing most of my parts from newegg. Most times have been smooth, and a few head into rough water.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I have purchased Memory and video cards from them and never had a problem.

Miller you should order under your neighbors name or something. I think someone doesn't like you.

Oh and good riddance to DHL. Freaking idiots would always call and say **** like the driver couldn't find my house or it was past his time limit and I would have to go get my stuff.

It was never on time.

Mike
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thought I would give an update.

I sent this thing out on Tuesday from the New Hartford, NY UPS location. As of yesterday, it has only made it to Syracuse NY. UPS has not updated it.

So ... I emailed newegg to see if they will jsut let me buy a new motherboard and then refund this one

Of course they have not got back to me.

I think I might just eat $60 and order a different motherboard from tiger direct so I can get the stupid thing before I end up going back to college.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Not sure if NCIX ships to the states or not, but if they do, you might want to try them out instead. I tried Newegg once when they opened newegg.ca and was very unimpressed. NCIX and Tiger both have their little issues, but overall my experience with them has been good.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, every order from tiger direct has been ###### up so bad its not funny. Order a IDE drive and I get a SATA........ Order a Asus AMD motherboard, get a foxconn INTEL???? motherboard. Order a OEM CPU, and get a cpu with half its pins bent over.

I will NEVER buy from tigerdirect again.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I built the computer I'm using now a few months ago entirely from parts from CompUSA.com because most of the stuff I wanted was cheapest from them...I was really pleased with the experience.

I've never had a problem with Newegg either, but I've never bought a complete system worth of components from them.

We use CDW-G at work and the only thing that screws that up is DHL. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I got my last laptop, I had to pick it up at the DHL terminal. Even though the DHL truck went by my house 5 times a day after 2pm, but they just couldn't throw my laptop on one of those trucks.

Anyway, I emailed Newegg yesterday about my UPS problems and they changed my RMA to a refund and I will be ordering a new board today and having it shipped.

Hopefully by this time next week I can have the thing together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts