Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this cluking sound coming from my front suspension. Lately it makes a sound when I go from reverse into drive. Also does it over bumps.

I had the car parked and grabbed ahold of the swaybar endlink and tried to imitate the noise and I did, but dont think it was from the endlink actually moving to make the noise... but I could be wrong.

1. Should the end link be able to swivel from side to side easily?
2. Has anyone ever imitated this sound by trying to shake the swaybar endlink.
3. When these go bad do they normally snap making it the obvious noise maker.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I have had this cluking sound coming from my front suspension. Lately it makes a sound when I go from reverse into drive. Also does it over bumps.

I had the car parked and grabbed ahold of the swaybar endlink and tried to imitate the noise and I did, but dont think it was from the endlink actually moving to make the noise... but I could be wrong.

1. Should the end link be able to swivel from side to side easily?
2. Has anyone ever imitated this sound by trying to shake the swaybar endlink.
3. When these go bad do they normally snap making it the obvious noise maker.
I'm not a suspension expert so I'll let other chime in on that but if your car pops when going into reverse it could also be CV joints. my car was popping real loud before i got them replaced. They also made the car shake at interstate speeds (70-80mph).

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
They have already been replaced, I know that isnt the problem.
I can't really move my end links too easily. Did you check every suspension component for play? You have ball joints, tie rod ends, end links, control arm mounts (might be rotted), control arm bushings, subframe bushings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, struts, springs, etc... Check over everything and see what's loose, if it's loose it needs to go. I'm thinking endlinks if you can move them around, but I haven't had them go out on a Taurus. On a Windstar I did, it would make a bump bump bump rattle sound really fast on the passenger side over every bump.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mine was clunking just like yours, for the last year and a half, until I replaced my front struts and endlinks a couple of weeks ago. On mine, the noises were comming from bad strut bearings, and the struts themselves. I put KYB strut pluses on mine, the car rides much better than it did when it had only 25k on it. You should also replace the front endlinks with metal ones at the same time you do the struts, since you have to take them off anyway. You'll have to unbolt the control arms for clearance when doing the front struts (gotta love Ford's FWD suspensions). The struts and springs Ford used on these cars are terrible. But with new front struts and springs, it's clear the back springs are also toast, I ordered new KYB strut pluses for the rear from tirerack.com, and I will do those in a couple of weeks. If you replace the front struts/springs, I suggest also doing the rears at the same time, or else you'll really notice why the back springs on these cars are so crappy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had clunking sounds when going over bumps that progressively got worse. It turned out to be the sway bar links. It is hard to check them by grabbing them and trying to see if they are loose because the weight of the car is on them. I was really surprised it was them because the noise was relatively loud and as I took them off the joints didn't seem that loose. Try going around a bumpy curve at a relatively high speed (like entering an express way) and see if it clunks then. Mine didn't and I suspected it was because the links were loaded up because of the swaying motion and couldn't rattle. That's why I suspected the sway bar links and changed them. I had 45,000 miles on my 2000 Sable. They are relative inexpensive, $20 to $40 each depending where you get them. I got the $20 ones at Autozone. If you can do the work yourself it's not an expensive fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts