Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting next year, it's off to college in Houston, and that means I need to buy myself a good road car to go down there, and drive around town. I have looked at all sorts of cars, until I realized, why not a Gen IV?

The Taurus in the sig. is my mom's car, and the Explorer is shard by me and my dad (We both work in sales together out side of the house). I have the money to pay for, and insure my own car, so I would like to get a good car. I ain't driving an economy car. I don't care what people say that I should drive a cheapo car in college. They just didn't have any money. Why not buy the best?

Now I like the Vulcan, but I want to step up to the Duratec. What options does the SEL have that make it an SEL instead of an SES? That SES seems to be a very odd trim level since I have seen Vulcans and Duras in them. My requirements are Leather, Duratec, Mach CD (6-Disc not required, but would be nice). I want to get a nicer car than my mom.

I found a 2001 black SEL for $11K with 33,000 miles on it. That is not out of my price range, and to me, there is nothing sexier than a black Gen IV. Oddly enough it has the console shifter, which I like, and don't like. I didn't even think SELs had those? There are 3 Ford dealers in town, and Tauri are a dime in dozen in terms of choice, but I am picky. How far does an SES go until it becomes an SEL? I am not too crazy about the SEL rims, but Sport rims will be going on asap. If the Sport came in leather, I would probably look for one of those, but I will never own a cloth car, period.

G

·
I think the main difference between SES and SEL is that SEL automatically gets the Duratec, leather (I think), SEL rims, climate control and I think that's it. Maybe heated mirrors, too. 2001 is a VERY good year to get a Gen IV. That year seems to have the best combo of all options AFAIK - they didn't eliminate the rear A/C vents (which I LOVE) and there were a couple of other things. Some of the other things too look for which may or may not be part of the SEL package are floor shifter, rear A/C (comes with floor shift in 2001 and maybe 2000), heated mirrors, adjustable pedals (you will love them if you have them!), Traction Control... ABS is standard on SEL's. I am partial to sunroofs, too.
Don't forget a spoiler!

I would very HIGHLY recommend finding one on a Ford Certified Preowned lot at a dealership. There is quite a bit of value to the Certified Preowned program and IMO it is incredibly effective at weeding out lemons. Also, if you have the $$ buy the PremiumCare ESP (extended bumper to bumper warranty), get it.

That's my $.02

·
Registered
33 Posts
Majisto-

I just got 2 months ago a vehicle that is also an '01 SEL and got it with 32,900 miles. OTD I paid $10k, in and around the philly area. I believe in 2001, most came with console shifters, though there were some that had the column. On the SES in 2001, I believe you could get it with everything like an SEL (Duratec, Spoiler, Leather, Console Shifter etc) except for the rims, climate control (which is standard on the SEL), Mach Audio System and I believe but I am not sure, that you could only get Side Airbags and T/C on the SEL.

The 2000's had a pretty much completely different lettering scheme as far as equipment went. Early 2000's that would be called SEL's now, were called SE Comfort.

Also was able to get it with the Ford ESP Premium care included in the price, so I really ended up getting the car for around $9500.

Hope that helps a little.

G

·
LOL

Climate control and Traction Control were optional on SES. Side airbags are only on SEL though AFAIK - maybe SES Sport.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Really? I don't think I have ever seen an SES with Climate Control and/or traction control. Guess most people figure that if they are gonna get an SES with all that stuff, they might as well get the SEL.

AS

G

·
Originally posted by automan227@Apr 14 2004, 05:57 PM
Really? I don't think I have ever seen an SES with Climate Control and/or traction control. Guess most people figure that if they are gonna get an SES with all that stuff, they might as well get the SEL.

AS
yeah... most people don't opt for it I think, but my SES has T/C and I have seen SES's with Climate Control IIRC - maybe only in the Sports?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to go look at this Taurus tomorrow. I found out that the shifter is on the floor, and it does have auto climate control, and rear air.
Honestly, I think the 2001 SEL (Or all Gen IVs like Jacon said) really IS the best year for the Taurus. Other than the non light up cruise control buttons (The switches have indentions to help me locate which is which) I get all the courtesy lights and rear air.

I am really excited about this car. I think this might be the car I get. I love the Blue on our Taurus, but there is something dead sexy (And spy-like) about a black Gen IV.

One thing though...is it possible to get a dash kit for the Taurus with auto climate control? It sounds like the Mach system is installed (It has 6-Disc) but then I read it had 4 speakers so? Either way, I want to put in a new head unit, but having just put one in our non-electronic Gen IV, I know it's a pain to put a stereo in these integrated boards. How much will it cost me, because I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want a CD player up front since the 6-disc change is in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by biteableniles@Apr 14 2004, 11:00 PM
Holy crap, are you coming to UH??
No, I am going to the University of St. Thomas. It's in the Montrose district close to Rice.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Apr 14 2004, 11:00 PM
I am going to go look at this Taurus tomorrow. I found out that the shifter is on the floor, and it does have auto climate control, and rear air.
Honestly, I think the 2001 SEL (Or all Gen IVs like Jacon said) really IS the best year for the Taurus. Other than the non light up cruise control buttons (The switches have indentions to help me locate which is which) I get all the courtesy lights and rear air.

I am really excited about this car. I think this might be the car I get. I love the Blue on our Taurus, but there is something dead sexy (And spy-like) about a black Gen IV.

One thing though...is it possible to get a dash kit for the Taurus with auto climate control? It sounds like the Mach system is installed (It has 6-Disc) but then I read it had 4 speakers so? Either way, I want to put in a new head unit, but having just put one in our non-electronic Gen IV, I know it's a pain to put a stereo in these integrated boards. How much will it cost me, because I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want a CD player up front since the 6-disc change is in the trunk.
I picked up an 01 SEL a few months ago for about 10K with 28k on it.

As for the stereo, I think you're pretty much stuck with whatever is in the dash, the climate control kinda prevents putting in a different stereo so there's some threads out there about people swapping in the regular climate control. Personally I do like it, just set a temperature and forget it.

The old way was to turn it on to see if things have warmed up and then shut it off if not. Then forget to turn it on for a while. When you have the temperature set, the fans don't kick in until things have warmed up a little bit first. This way you're never really too hot or too cold.

I think on the Mach stereo, there's a Mach label on the door speakers. You might be able to do something about the trunk CD player.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I was just told that the CD changer is in the console of the car and not the trunk? I'll need to go check this tomorrow. As long as I have access to a CD player inside of the car, I will be happy with a Mach system. I don't want subs hogging up trunk space, and bigger alternators and battery woes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Apr 14 2004, 04:51 PM
I think the main difference between SES and SEL is that SEL automatically gets the Duratec,
Not every SEL has the dura, it may be a no cost option on that trim level and that is why it is so prevelant but I have seen at least one SEL with a vulcan, a wagon no less and it was a 2004 iirc.

G

·
Originally posted by Majisto@Apr 15 2004, 12:37 AM
Now I was just told that the CD changer is in the console of the car and not the trunk? I'll need to go check this tomorrow. As long as I have access to a CD player inside of the car, I will be happy with a Mach system. I don't want subs hogging up trunk space, and bigger alternators and battery woes.
Yeah, I've seen the CD changer in the center console in quite a few of the newer ones.

G

·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Apr 15 2004, 07:30 AM
Screw the Gen IV, get a Gen III with rear disc brakes and dual exhast!!!

JR
that's the best thing about my gen 3...Dual exhaust...I don't have rear discs though...conversion time maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by automan227@Apr 14 2004, 04:57 PM

AS
I have traction control

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Mine has the four wheel discs, which is totally awesome...

The dual exhaust on mine will be modified soon. I'm going to be working with my gf's dad to cut the single cat out right behind the flex pipe and fabricate a better dual exhaust system. Dual high flow cats, and dual Flowmaster 40 deltas...It is going to sound and look awesome...well, this all depends on whether or not the get the guy that hit me and drove off. If so, my insurance will stay the same and I'll get my $500 deductible back. If not, my rates go up $1500/year, and I lose my deductible...here's hoping...

JR

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The SEL was sold.

I did find a 2003 SES loaded with 20K miles on it for $11,900, but I don't want a 2003+ Taurus since a lot of couresy features are eliminated.

Also, while I would really like rear discs, the 3rd Gen is just too odd for me. Sorry, but the back of it is just strange. The 3rd Gen SHO is fine, but the 4th Gen looks much cleaner, and I can get low mileage with warranty.

I'm going to continue to look for SELs. I tried another dealer in town, and they had absolutely no SELs, period. Going to be tough find it looks like. I hate living in a smaller town sometimes...I might just bite the bullet and goto Houston or Dallas where the dealerships have their own zip codes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts