Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SES sedan. I am in the process of replacing the ball joint on the drivers side. The only things left are the axle nut, pinch bolt, and bolt where the strut fits into the knuckle.

I have a 30mm socket, but that is loose. Has anyone had to use a 29mm?

Also, I have read I need a pitman arm puller for the tie rod end, and also to pull the BJ out of the control arm, correct?

What is the proper puller to pull the hub off of the axle rod?

Does the hub have a bearing that should be replace? I have read before on some vehicles that they do, but I haven't really seen much of anything like that on this car.

thanks

JJ

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should be able to knock the tie rod end out pretty easy without a puller. Mine (on my rust country 2001) didn't give me much hassle. The hub also slid off the axle without much problems. Knock on the back of the knuckle with a rubber mallet and once it's loose it slides nice. If your bearings are toast, it's a great time to replace them. There are three bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle. They're in a triangle pattern on the back of the knuckle. I beat the ever loving sh!t out of the old ball joints getting them out of the knuckle. Getting the new ones in was even harder. GO GET A BALL JOINT PRESS! Some people say you also need an adapter set for the ball joint press, but I was able to arrange the cups to get enough clearance to press the new one in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts