Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
an oil pan gasket? Someone else just posted that they had thier oil pan completely replaced for $170...

EDIT: Scratch that... It was the tranny fluid pan that was replaced. Would the oil pan be that much different?

-Dan

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I got the oil pan gasket changed for $130 from a small mechanic.
The bigger shops did quote around 300.

The pan gasket was only $20 something at autozone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got a good one for ya. Get the insurance paid up on it and make sure the company will pay you out this time. Then put oil all over the cats and let it start on fire and burn to the ground. Then make a claim and get a new Taurus for the winter

Honestly thought I have been under my oil plan every oil change for the last 3 years and can't rember what it looks like but I doubt it should cost that much.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
ya 130 was an awsome deal. He was a small mechanic in toledo. Awsome guy, I could also work with him.
Infact he said only 120 in labour for the pan gasket change...
I gave him 10 more bucks...cause he really had a tough time getting the bolts off... where the exaust pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold. Besides he welded a small crack in the exhaust pipe holders.. for free...
too bad i left toledo soon.

if anyone is in Toledo, looking for a decent mechanic I have his number.

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds about right for a dealer price, but I would shop around for a better mechanic. They'll need to drop the y-pipe, and the oil pan, and then reinstall everything.

I like Pat's idea, except I would loosen the fuel rail and let that sucker roast.

J

·
0 Posts
You certainly get more than your fair share of problems Ashley
Sorry to hear about this - hopefully you can find a good deal to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Yeah, but in the US if you're under 30, you don't use your insurrance. You'll just end up with an insurrance payment twice the size of any car payment...

-Dan

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Dec 17 2003, 07:33 AM
Yeah, but in the US if you're under 30, you don't use your insurrance. You'll just end up with an insurrance payment twice the size of any car payment...

-Dan
so true... yet so sad
I pay $1700/year for nothing and never had a claim in my life

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Dec 17 2003, 09:53 AM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Dec 17 2003, 09:53 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais
@Dec 17 2003, 12:28 AM
I like Pat's idea, except I would loosen the fuel rail and let that sucker roast. 
Exactly. I have oil all over my cats and it doesn't do anything. [/b]
Except stink, of course!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ashley, I love reading your posts. When I hear about all the bad luck you have, it makes me feel better about my own life.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢@Dec 17 2003, 10:51 AM
Ashley, I love reading your posts. When I hear about all the bad luck you have, it makes me feel better about my own life.
lol, Thanks. Thats what I'm here for.

Well, she went into the shop today, $240. She probably wont be back in action until about 4-6 weeks. Because my mom said she isnt helping me out at all with it (with the exception of writing the checks) and my paychecks are small. I put $70 down up front, and I owe about $180 more. At the shop, they also mentioned that a 96 Taurus GL was in there a couple days before and had the same problem. Turned out the man who owned it ran slightly off into a ditch and somehow punctured it. Meh, with my driving.. it probably could have been anything that made it do that. Wish me luck guys
for now, I'm driving the 'trep... which sucks when it comes to racing. Bah, I hate driving that car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Firespirit, why not try to tackle this job yourself?

I have never done this job, but I don't imagine it is that hard.

Paying some mechanic OVER $100 for such a job seems a bit steep. Of course I am a poor bastard who cannot really afford a mechanic, that is why I do my own work.

Lest this post gets read again, why DO mechanics charge so much for even simple repairs?
One time , it costed me nothing (warranty) but some shop wanted $250 just to change one wire and the battery tray. It was when I first bought it, it had a broken piece of plywood for a battery tray. Ehh, anyway, the original Q?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by impatient95@Dec 22 2003, 01:49 PM
Firespirit, why not try to tackle this job yourself?

I have never done this job, but I don't imagine it is that hard.

Paying some mechanic OVER $100 for such a job seems a bit steep. Of course I am a poor bastard who cannot really afford a mechanic, that is why I do my own work.

Lest this post gets read again, why DO mechanics charge so much for even simple repairs?
One time , it costed me nothing (warranty) but some shop wanted $250 just to change one wire and the battery tray. It was when I first bought it, it had a broken piece of plywood for a battery tray. Ehh, anyway, the original Q?
I should have, I admit that, but I'd rather have someone who know's what they are doing until I study and figure out what the hell I'm doin! I'm in no ways mechanically inclined. Ask Paul, he saw the way my engine looked. Dirty, and kinda... ugly. I'm gunna get to know the engine a bit more though. Trust me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Dec 17 2003, 12:28 AM
Sounds about right for a dealer price, but I would shop around for a better mechanic. They'll need to drop the y-pipe, and the oil pan, and then reinstall everything.

Drop the y-pipe?? When i replaced the gasket on my oil pan in my 97 vulcan, all i had to do was remove the starter so i could get to a bolt for the oil pan.

Its not that hard of a job. Ive done it twice now. (Is this a minor problem with gen3 vulcans?)

Actually, i didnt replace it. The two times, the gasket had somehow slipped out, and i just slipped it back into place. I have no idea how it slipped out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is why I do ALL my own work. An oil pan gasket is a two (2) hour job:
Drain the oil
Pull the starter
Pull the "Y" (exhaust) pipe
Pull the flywheel dust shield
--- all while the oil is draining ---
then pull the oil pan. That's about :25

Another :30 to clean out the pan and put sealant on the new gasket.

Another :30 to put everything back together and refill with new oil.

The last :35 to goof-off (smoke a cigarette and
scratch myself
) while it warms-up, check for leaks, and a quick inspection of everything else under the car.

$10 for oil, $25 max for the gasket, and a MAX OF 2HRS labor on your bill (that's $0.00 for me).

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by RWeaver@Dec 24 2003, 05:53 PM
This is why I do ALL my own work. An oil pan gasket is a two (2) hour job:
Drain the oil
Pull the starter
Pull the "Y" (exhaust) pipe
Pull the flywheel dust shield
--- all while the oil is draining ---
then pull the oil pan. That's about :25

Another :30 to clean out the pan and put sealant on the new gasket.

Another :30 to put everything back together and refill with new oil.

The last :35 to goof-off (smoke a cigarette and
scratch myself
) while it warms-up, check for leaks, and a quick inspection of everything else under the car.

$10 for oil, $25 max for the gasket, and a MAX OF 2HRS labor on your bill (that's $0.00 for me).
Well, I would too.. If I had some real-life one-on-one training. But since I dont, I don't know wtf I'm doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I'm right between Sacramento and San Francisco just off I-80.

Just stop-by and we'll pull it up in my garage and we'll knock this job right out. ...do a little training in the process...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts