Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Because I don't want to hijack another thread I made another one.

I have a 1996 Sable with DOHC and Ax4N transmission. Rebuilded at a "brand" shop at 83k.
At some 168k, in could weather, started to act up:
Cold, it won't shift from first to second gear while is in "D" position. It would rev up to 3000rpm and try to shift (rpm will fluctuate upwards, like is disengaging the 1st but not able to go to 2nd).
If I put the selector in "2" it will shift normal - all the way to Overdrive! I can do 60mph with normal rpm's. It stays like that a while - till it warmes up. Longer time on cold mornings, shorter in afternoons. After that period I can shift on "D" (at a stop light) or it would drop by itself from 3rd, 4th, all the way to 2nd (that is the correct selection at that point). Not a nice experience on highway at 55-60mph... I am trying to avoid that.
If I start with warm engine, it drives fine.

I did replace the filter and the fluid in the pan and improved sensible the time to "act right", but didn't cure it. Now I think it started to go back how it was (filter is full again?). It does this from last fall... I still drive it to work most of the time.
Does anybody has an ideea what can be and if it is fixable with the transmission on the car (maybe something in the valve body that is accesible from below)?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My 98 'Tec did the same thing if the trans was colder than about 40F. If it actually made it into second, it would jump out of gear to neutral and then bang back into second. Forcing second gear on the gear shift prevented the issue.

This was at around 88k. Changing the fluid fixed the issue. Transmission catastrophically failed at 113k. Going into *drum roll* second gear, there was an audible bang and suddenly I had no second gear. First still worked, for the time being. Second did come back after a couple minutes of limping it in the shoulder but I only manged to get about a week of driving out of it before I could declare "No more tranny left."

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I was thinking that it might be a clogged valve/passage that "likes" thinner oil to operate.
If it was the VSS, then why it would work with selector in "2"? When it is cold, in "2" it works like it is actually in "D"... Maybe I will check into that.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It's not the VSS, as the ECU cannot command a neutral condition with the shift solenoids. Neutral can only be actuated by the gear shift.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that possible to be just a valve body issue or it can be someting deeper in the transmission?

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
A faulty vss will cause a prolonged (slipping) 1-2 shift not necessarily accompanied with speedo issues. All shift points will eventually become erratic, possibly with od off light flashing. The 1-2 slip is usually more pronounced on a warm engine and tranny though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The OD light is not lit, but the button didn't work from the beginning... even after they rebuilt the transmission.

LE: Now I realised that I was wrong. It doesn't "fall" into neutral, it just cycles between 1st and 2nd gear (when is cold).

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Fixed it. At least for now...

I am upset I didn't put 2 with 2 toghether earlier (it did this for more than a year now). Looking into the Haynes schematics, I did notice that the "neutral position switch" on AX4N also transmits the "position" of the manual shifter actuator to the PCM. And that is done by a series of resistors. I had the ideea that my car was acting like those resitors where decalibrated at cold and send the "D" signal only when there was actually in "2" position.

A trip at the only junk yard open Sat and 40$ latter it is cured. Kind of a rip off, the new part was 100$, but the other yards either didn't have it or there are closed.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm looks like needs some more adjusting of the position. When I put the lever in "P", the radio goes off for a second. Weird...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vehicle Speed Sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts