Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite my best washing efforts since I bought this car... I've got rust in the left dog leg. :(

I noticed a little bubble a few weeks ago. I chose to igore it and hoped it would go away. It's now about 10x the size it was and there's little bubbles all up and down the dog leg. And rust stain inside the fender lip.

Mike, where ya at man? I swear I'll never speak ill of your rusty Gen 4 again... cuz now I have one too. :cheers:

[attachmentid=27691]

If you look closely you can see the little bubbles. I think that huge scratch is new as of today. Oh well, I think I piss a lot of people off and if that's the worst they do...
[attachmentid=27692]

All I can think is... :poop:

Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Get inside the dogleg with Metal Ready and POR-15. Since it's bubbling, you may have to get that reshot anyway but you can prevent the rot that follows.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
My right side one is doing the same thing. I'm going to have it repaired professionally after winter's over...I just sealed it up with Rustoleum rist reformer paint for the winter months to keep it from getting worse.

My left side fender is seriously as clean as the day it left the factory - nice fresh looking green paint on the inside and all. I think it's just luck of the draw how well they got it welded and if salt and stuff gets in between the two pieces that are spotwelded together to make up the fender.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Same Left Side... All Bubbled to S*** .... Getting Fixed Hopefully This Weekend...

Nothing some Rust Prevention primer etc wont cure..

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do I need to sand down both inside the wheel well and out? I assume POR-15 on the inside, Rustoleum on the outside? It doesn't seem like that would do much since the problem is sandwiched between two pieces of sheet metal and I'm going to be working on the outsides of each.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm really good with rattle cans and I know the theory of auto body work but have no actual experience. Maybe I should just take this to a body shop?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Rather than deal with my ever-growing mole that is rusty dog leg syndrome on my 97, I am going to take it to the body shop in a few months and have them re-create my rear lip (since the rust has eaten away at it from just one year of sitting) and spray. She's also going in for a few other cosmetic touch-ups. :thumb:

The cost to have a body shop repair the dog leg is not insane, but with the small amount you have, I'd just do it at home. Sand down the problem areas, shoot with POR-15 and repaint. Make sure to go ahead and spray some undercoating under the car and wheel well areas to help prevent further rust. You might want to check out this link to Duplicolor's Undercoating, seeing as I have heard great things about their products, http://www.duplicolor.com/products/undercoating.html .

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Dealing with rust is a never ending battle, and in the end, the rust wins. It can be held off and slowed down, but it never really goes away. :(

I hate winter...especially considering I have to park out in the street and my car gets nice blasts of salt every night there is ice or snow. I think the rust on the dog legs and rocker panels have doubled in the last 2 years.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I don't know what you guys are doing with your cars.... my doglegs aren't rusted at all...

Sure, my underbody is caked in rust, but my doglegs are perfectly fine. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Gen IVs are much more prone to dogleg rust, for some reason.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't know what you guys are doing with your cars.... my doglegs aren't rusted at all...[/b]
That's because you drive a jellybean, and they have all that sugar built in for preservatives.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I don't know what you guys are doing with your cars.... my doglegs aren't rusted at all...[/b]
That's because you drive a jellybean, and they have all that sugar built in for preservatives.
[/b]
:rofl2: that gave me a good laugh during a bad day

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
When my Gen IV started doing that, I took it to a body shop every other year. For $120 they sanded down both sides, put some kid of rust inhibitor on and repainted and got it matched perfectly.

I could usually get through 2 winters each time they did that. Right before I got rid of the car I kinda let it go though... it wasn't looking so good then. :(

If you keep spraying WD-40 on the rust that seemed to stop the rust on my Gen IV before I got it repainted. All winter I would keep spraying it on there after the weekly wash to get rid of the salt.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Just out of curiosity (and I have no clue about automobile body work)....but if salt is getting between the seams and spot welds (?), couldn't you use some type of welding method/soldering method to make a bead that goes between those seams, and keep the salt from getting in there...along with putting rust inhibitor up in the fender wells?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts