Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, what do the amplifier channels mean, i realize more means you can run more gear off the amp, but can you run say 2 subs(in 1 box, 2 sub holes) off a 1 channel amp or do you require a 2 channel?and if my understanding is right, its 1 channel per speaker right?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i would run subs off a mono channel amp but if its off a 2 channel just bridge the channels.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you can run anything off anything. Depends what you want to accomplish...

for most setups, if the subs are 4 ohms and you have 2, you want a mono (1 channel amp) to maximaze power output

If you have 1 4 ohm sub, you want a 2 channel amp, and bridge it.

The idea is to run your amp at the lowest ohm rating it supports. Most only support 2/4 ohms, some are 1 ohm stable and so on

Brad

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
As Brad said, run the amp at the lowest resistance (ohms) you can. As the name implies, resistance is a function of power loss because of the electrical components. The lower the resistance, the more efficiently the sub will work, and the less power you'll need from the amp. Also, using a ported box will allow the subs to be more efficient, and will use less power for a louder sound.

JR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts