Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I couldn't find a suitable answer in the search, so I'll ask here. What do you recommend as a good unit to amp the stock stereo. I don't want to get a new head unit, but want to get better sound in the Sable. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
If you're going to get an amp, you might as well get new speakers...I think the mach systems speakers are rated for around 35w RMS, but I'm not positive on that. I'd just get a 4 channel amp and 2 pairs of speakers to replace the stock ones.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Have any recomendations on a good amp for this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amping the stock stereo will result in amplified distortion. Period. If you're looking for volume, get a new HU. If you're looking for improved clarity, get a new HU. If you're looking to tune into more distant radio stations, get a new HU. Then once you hear what you've been missing, upgrade your paper speakers.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by hitman@Jun 3 2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info! Have any recomendations on a good amp for this?
Do you have a price range in mind? Do you want and amp and speakers? Price range for each?

Amping the stock stereo will result in amplified distortion. Period. If you're looking for volume, get a new HU. If you're looking for improved clarity, get a new HU. If you're looking to tune into more distant radio stations, get a new HU. Then once you hear what you've been missing, upgrade your paper speakers.
I agree completely. But an aftermarket hu isn't feasible for everyone, especially those with auto climate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what speakers I want, but have no idea on the amp. As far as price goes, not a lot of money but good quality. I would go the new head unit route, but having just had a baby has killed the cash flow.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by mable the sable@Jun 3 2004, 11:27 PM
Amping the stock stereo will not result in amplified distortion. That's a load of crap.

There are guys that will IASCA SQ competitions using stock headunits. Don't believe me, go over to the forums on carsound.com and repeat your statement over there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay 1fast97, cool down. I said "amping the stock stereo" meaning hitman's stock stereo. Compare the output and signal to noise ratio between the one he's running and the stock units amped for competition. Simply put, all is not equal in the land of "stock" head units.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Again, you're talking out of your a**.

If he were to get a line output convertor (a good one) and get the signal going to one of the speakers there would be no distortion. The distortion you get from the stock system is from the crappy speakers and from not enough power from the amp. When the stock amp isn't driving anything but a line output convertor there will be no audible distortion.

You can talk about numbers till you're blue in the face. Aftermarket companies throw around useless numbers like signal-to-noise and THD. The problem with those numbers is that even the crappiest of headunits can produce better numbers than the human ear could decypher.

Trust me, you'll get way more results by spending your money on speakers and amps. Speakers are the number one cause of distortion. Asking too much of your amp is another major cause of distortion so it's wise to get as much power as you can afford. Speakers and amps will make more of a difference than any headunit you could buy.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I have a X-Fire amp and Db Drive 6X8 speakers and another X-Fire amp driving a Clarion 10" open air sub in conjunction with the stock H/U. All of this stuff is decently priced and there is No distortion that I can hear even at full volume.

I am very pleased with my setup and a thief would look in my car and see a stock H/U

Mike
B)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 1fast97@Jun 6 2004, 10:03 AM
Again, you're talking out of your a**.

If he were to get a line output convertor (a good one) and get the signal going to one of the speakers there would be no distortion. The distortion you get from the stock system is from the crappy speakers and from not enough power from the amp. When the stock amp isn't driving anything but a line output convertor there will be no audible distortion.

You can talk about numbers till you're blue in the face. Aftermarket companies throw around useless numbers like signal-to-noise and THD. The problem with those numbers is that even the crappiest of headunits can produce better numbers than the human ear could decypher.

Trust me, you'll get way more results by spending your money on speakers and amps. Speakers are the number one cause of distortion. Asking too much of your amp is another major cause of distortion so it's wise to get as much power as you can afford. Speakers and amps will make more of a difference than any headunit you could buy.
:withstupid:

I have my stock HU and put Infinity speakers in the rear and it was night and day difference with clarity. It sounds amazing now. But now I want more volume and I want to replace the front speakers because I can still hear a slight bit of distortion out of them so I am going to amp my stock HU and get new front speakers soon. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys! I am definitely looking at Infinity Kappa's for speakers. I haven't decided on an amp yet, but you have given me some good direction. Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
I added a Sony 444 4 channel amp to the stock MP3 player in my 03 Focus. The amp, wiring kit, and reverse plugs cost me about $160 total for the install. I could have bought a nice HU for that money, but I also like the big stock buttons that are easy to see and use, not to mention the anti-theft feature of a crappy stock HU. I chose the amp because it had high level inputs, no need for a line out converter. There is no comparision to the stock HU, I need new speakers next, the factory ones arent going to live much longer

I like my Jim, Jimmy, and Janice LOUD!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts