Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know how to amp speakers? I have not found a single helpful source on the internet. and knowing how annoying tauruses are to customize, I figured somebody here would know. I'm buying new speakers, I'm thinking about type R's. Im getting an amp as well. I know the speakers need to go to the amp and the amp has to be grounded and sent to the head unit. So my big question is, is there a way to just take where the speakers are connected to the RCU and unhook them and send the wire to the amp instead? I'm so confused. Ive never even looked at my RCU and I dont know much about how it works. I hooked up my sub myself so I know what Im doing. I'm just not too sure how the hooking up of the speakers to the amp goes.

plz help?

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you're going to run an amp with the stock radio you will need a 4 channel line output converter that hooks up to your stock speaker wires and turns them into RCA jacks that will plug into your amp. Then you will have to run new wire to all the speakers. I guess you could use the stock wiring off the amp but they wont be big enough for any more than 30 watts. So new wire is recommended.

Here's a diagram of how it would look.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not using a stock radio. i have a head unit. so im still confused. when i run new wire to the speakers, where the hell am i going to put it? it goes from the door panel to where? where could i hide it? this seems unnessecarily complicated. do i even need to involve the RCU at all?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What headunit do you have? RCAs from HU to amp, speaker wire from amp to speakers. Wire can be run if you pull up the plastic pieces (door sills? cant think of the name). Hope that helps a little.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
im not using a stock radio. i have a head unit. so im still confused. when i run new wire to the speakers, where the hell am i going to put it? it goes from the door panel to where? where could i hide it? this seems unnessecarily complicated. do i even need to involve the RCU at all?
Don't bother running new wires to the speakers. Put the amp in the trunk and splice it into the speaker harness there. Then use the RCA outputs on the aftermarket head unit and run that to the amp.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Don't bother running new wires to the speakers. Put the amp in the trunk and splice it into the speaker harness there. Then use the RCA outputs on the aftermarket head unit and run that to the amp.
Thats what I was hoping I could do. now. hopefully my final question. Where the hell is the stock speaker harness?

haha guess thats not my final question. one more. Can the stock wire really only handle 30 watts? Right now my deck has 50W x 4 off the preamp. like most decks...

OH BTW. its a Kenwood excelon KDC-X794. I used to have a sony xplod low model one. it was ok. but didnt have ipod scrolling or dedicated sub outputs. only 2 left and right for speakers, although I did use the rear outputs for my sub til I got this deck.

and if anybody could tell me what wires go to which speaker on the harness that would be great. maybe even a nicely labeled picture?? :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
You're deck at max is doing 20w rms probably more around 16-18w rms. Never look at MAX numbers theyre all bullshit and can only be achieved if its struck by lightning. The stock wires are like 18 gauge and only good enough for a stock system.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're deck at max is doing 20w rms probably more around 16-18w rms. Never look at MAX numbers theyre all bullshit and can only be achieved if its struck by lightning. The stock wires are like 18 gauge and only good enough for a stock system.
hahahaha. I know that, I just for some reason blanked on the fact that, that is the peak rating, not rms. my bad. I knew that.. FUDGE CAKES. thats a pain in the fucking anus to change all the wire. have you done it? and If i dont change all the wire, and my amp is putting out more power than 30W to each speaker, are the speakers just not going to receive more than 30?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Then you will have to run new wire to all the speakers. I guess you could use the stock wiring off the amp but they wont be big enough for any more than 30 watts. So new wire is recommended.

Here's a diagram of how it would look

[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing as this drawing except i used two 2-channel amps, and the part about the factory wiring not being good for more than 30 watts isn't true.. i pump 150 watts a speaker through it and it's just fine. i ran new speaker wire for the back two since its so close but the front speakers i just tapped into the wire where it was at the RCU.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where are the wires at the RCU? ive never looked at it. I will have no idea whats going on when i look at it

·
Registered
37 Posts
it wont take much for your car to BOOM!!!!
same system from my prelude to the taurus, is louder??
and has way more kick?? I guess it's the cabin size..

but I'm using the factory harness and pushing 150 watts to each speaker fine..
and 300 to the sub..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
someone please let me know where the speakers wires are on the RCU. I have never looked at it, I dont know what it looks like, ill be going in completely blind here. and do I just cut them off where they connect to it and put those wires to the amp?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I know that all speaker wires are accessible from the trunk. You have to figure out their colors. I am sure this has been discussed on this forum, but I simply traced mine to the speakers. So you can put the amplifier in the trunk and use the existing speaker wires. Buy a reasonably small amplifier and you will be able to mount it on the back of the smaller folding back seat. You don't need to replace speaker wires. It has little benefit at this stage and complicates things. People who replace speaker wires already have a top notch component for every other part of the audio system. I have replaced speaker wires to every speaker, and even run new wires for mids AND tweeters from the speaker locations into the cabin where the crossovers are mounted but that is just over the top and possibly unnecessary. I just had too much spare time and wire. On the bright side, I might be able to go with "active" crossovers in future with very little work...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts