Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I'm putting in an amp to give my new speakers some actual power and thought I'd deal with the wiring kit first before I dive into amps and that battle. :lol2: So I checked out the local computer stores and holy crap are these expensive to which I of course jumped on eBay and Crutchfield.

However on eBay there are tons of no name brands like Voodoo and Lighting and whatever else that I've never heard about. I'm going to be running about 1000W RMS at the most. And most places I've seen recommend a 2ga kit. I figure I'll just run a full 0/1 gauge so I'll really only ever have to do it once.
But, couple questions:

1) What wiring kit would you guys recommend?
2) Is no name really ok or not?
3) Anything else?

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Give Knukonceptz a look. Their kits are priced exremely competitively, and they sell high quality products. All the wiring in my car was stuff I purchased from them and I was truly surprised at how high the quality was. Their kits run around half the cost of Streetwires, Stinger, RF, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw a lot of KnuKoncepts on eBay. They are one of those no names I was looking away from...:lol: I'll check them out. They are pretty cheap on ebay though.

EDIT:However I notice KnuKoncepts is only power wire, ground and fuse. No RCAs and distribution block in their 0/1 gauge kit. Kind of wanted an all together in 1 package.

Anybody Else? Come on, I want to get this done with a quickness.

-mobisulogic

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
They have everything you need listed on the link I supplied. You should be able to get everything you need for less than a single kit costs. I wouldn't call them a no-name brand either, they are very popular on several audio forums.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by mobiuslogic@Aug 12 2004, 10:35 AM
EDIT:However I notice KnuKoncepts is only power wire, ground and fuse. No RCAs and distribution block in their 0/1 gauge kit. Kind of wanted an all together in 1 package.
You should be able to get a dist block for around $15, fuses for less than $1/piece, and RCA's between $5-$20 depending on what quality & length you want. That should be right around $100, which is pretty good. Again, I can't stress enough the quality of their products. I've used Monster, Streetwires, and RF before and Kny totally outdid all three IMO.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fuses and fuse holders are no where near less than $1 around here, unless you ar looking for mini agu fuses like in the fuse box. I have a maxi AGU which is probably the cheapest high current fuse and they are $2 each, my fuse holder was like $10.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i a have rockford fosgate wiring kit and it came with everything, i would say go with name you know because you cant be sure on the quality of wire your getting

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used a walmart kit at first and it wasn't too bad, in fact it isn't much of a degradation in sound quality than my current setup.

·
Registered
746 Posts
you will notice no difference between the "cheap" wires and the "expensive" wires. the only thing that will make a difference is to make sure that the power wire is flexible and easy to run(do not use home electrical wire). just get some car audio power wire and that will be fine.

as for the quality of wires, once again, the only difference is going to be the ease in which the wires bend and flex, which makes placement alot easier. other than that, a wire is a wire. all it is there to do is carry a signal, and there is nothing in that wire that is going to influence that signal.

knukonceptz is probably gonna be your best bet for a 1/0 kit at a good price. but look around on ebay and at other sites on the net, you can find some good deals. dont worry if you dont recognize the name, because it is just wire.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I beleive the only difference between cheap/expensive wire is durability, with the exception that home electrical wire (the heavy duty outdoor kind) is pretty useful for the short run in the engine bay as it is everything resistant i.e. heat, weather, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I use to the $20 wal-mat special. Had it for two years. All wires still look new. Only problem i had was i blow the fuse and i could not find the fuse that high so i put a another fuse holder on it, now it cause my amp to go on and off.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Hoss is correct. You either have power or no power. SQ is not determined by what brand of power wire you use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts