Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who arent familiar with my car, 99 Sable LS 24v.

There are two small rubber plugs blocking holes into the firewall. I need to run a power wire through for an amp. One of the plugs is way behind the brake booster (apparently, I have yet to find it) but I couldn't reach my hand in there anyway. You can also access it from the inside from what I hear, but I can't get for the life of me get under there and reach up that high, I'm too big.

Then there's another one that Ryne was just telling me about, which is on the passenger side near the middle of the car just next to where the AC lines run into the car. I think I see it but I can't reach in as the intake manifold on the Duratec is really big and sits fairly high.
Is there any way to get a wire through here? It's only a little 10 gauge wire.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Option "A" is not really that hard to find--once you find it!
You won't be able to see it directly, because the cowl sticks out. And most people's hands won't fit in there too easily, either. However, it isn't BEHIND the brake booster, it's a few inches off to the side (closer to the strut tower.)

Looking from the front bumper toward the firewall, I'd say look at about 2 o'clock on the brake booster, and 3-5" directly to the right from there. It's only about 2" below where the cowl sticks out. With much contortion, I was able to get two of my fingers back against the firewall and feel around for it.

Forget finding it from the inside... there's too much other crap in the way. If you have a flashlight and a small mirror, I GUARANTEE you will find the plug in a few minutes (from the outside, of course.) Just push the grommet right into the inside of the car, and shove a screwdriver in there so you can find it on the inside. Save the grommet, cut a hole in it, and slip it onto your power wire, so you don't have to worry about the sheet metal chafing or cutting the insulation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used the hole that Ryne is talking about. I'll get my digital camera in a bit and take some pictures of where i ran my wire. I used 4 gauge wire, so i needed a big hole. All i did was cut a hole in the rubber plug and stuck it through.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
You could always get the pick axe out and make a new opening lol. There should be one around the brake booster, try around your throttle cables. I dunno thats where it is on my car. What size are you running for your power cable, 16guage? lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok, took some pictures for ya. Here we go.

This is where it comes in from the engine compartment. This is the best picture I could get with my camera. (its not small
)

This is what its going to look like after you remove the black plastic cover on the passenger side. (pretty easy. theres just two little clips that hold it in. Give it a pull and they should pop right out.)

Then you want to pull the black insulation(?) back. There should just be a little flap that you can pull out, thats about all you need.

You can already see the hole with the camera, but your prolly gonna have to feel around. Seeing as how the camera has flash and you do not. At least I hope not...

A little closer shot of the hole.

Upclose and personal. I pulled the rubber seal out so you can see the size of the hole. I bet if you wanted to, you could fit 0 gauge through there. It'd be running it through the rest of the car thats hard.

And there you have it. Hopes this helps a little bit.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I thought the firewall opening was closer to the parking brake. I don't remember. All I know is it wasn't hard to find and get through.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
just go through were the power line bundle goes through the firewall. Inside the driver's side fenderwell. It's a huge rubber grommet that you can punch through. It comes out behind and slightly above the fusebox inside the cabin. Plus, all the amp wiring can be hidden inside the fender, making a clean install.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I took these a few years back. Sorry if the pictures are blurry, but it tells you where the hole is on the drivers side. Sorry if they are big, my apologies.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I can't tell if that's the hole I used, but I think it is (if not, it's right near there.) The one I used is a 1" diameter hole. Like the hole Schimmel_98 used, you can fit 2/0 gauge wire through there if you wanted to.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I'll take a look again later on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
for my amp...I ran it through the floor board of the drivers side. it's underneath the carpet almost right next to your trim...it's small enough to run the whole wire through. I'm running a 10 gauge wire. Only thing you have to worry about running mine is exactly where you put the wire. Cause it's kinda going around my suspension?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Forget all this punching out grommets and pulling back carpeting.

Just take a 1-inch auger bit, pull out your stereo, and drill straight behind it. If that doesn't work, go through the speedo.

Guaranteed to work!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use the hole under the Master Cylinder and above the fuse box on the GEN 3s. What I do is get an 18" x 1/4" drill bit. Use that to drill a hole through the groment.

Then using a straightened out coat hanger with my wire taped to the end I feed the wire through the hole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts