Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone take a picture of where they grounded their amp in a Gen 4 Taurus trunk?

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
There are many options available, the best thing to do is find a spot that is convenient that you are able to drill through without damaging anything, and that you will be able to gain access to on the other side. Sand both sides of the hole down, clean it up very well, used a nut and bolt and tighten it down so it will not move or come loose.

Don't mess around with poor ground points, do it right the first time. Trust me.

If that is too much work, some people use the bolt for the seatbelts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now my ground is on the left side where there is a stock O ring on a bolt on a thin sheet of metal. Hopefully the stock ground is enough for 500w-1000w

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
QUOTE (adio @ May 18 2009, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726177
Right now my ground is on the left side where there is a stock O ring on a bolt on a thin sheet of metal. Hopefully the stock ground is enough for 500w-1000w[/b]
Mine is there, right by the antenna and rcu. I'm running 800w RMS/ ~2500 peak.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting some major dimming when grounded there and im only running 500w on 4 gauge wiring.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
The preference is to ground as close to the Amp as possible. I used a mounting hole that was next to the amp, sanded off the paint with a dremel & used 4 gauge wire. I have not had any dimming issues at all. (you can see my installs on my Taurus (750w amp w/ 1 10") or my Five Hundred (1800w RMS amp w/ 2 12")) in my sig.

-You are using ring connectors for wiring the ground & power wire, right?
-How high do you have the gain on that amp? That may be causing your issue...

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
If you are getting dimming it isn't because you amp ground is sub par. The dimming is because you system voltage to the lighting is dropping. This is because the amp is pulling the amps it is designed to do. If the ground was bad for the amp it would not be able to pull the full amperage.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My gain is tuned with a multimeter so my **** isn't clipping and yeah i used rings connectors. I'm thinking about getting some 4 gauge wire and doing the big three since im getting a 800w amp this week.

Also I have some other issues maybe? When I sit idle with my car on my dome lights and a slight flicker to them and if i rev the engine a bit it seems to stop it, and also when I'm idle and put up a window the lights will dim. Also I noticed when I turn my steering wheel when stopped (not good i know) that my headlights will dim when i point it on my garage. I always thought that power steering didn't take electricity? Sorry if these are just noob questions =P

·
Registered
1 Posts
My gain is tuned with a multimeter so my **** isn't clipping and yeah i used rings connectors. I'm thinking about getting some 4 gauge wire and doing the big three since im getting a 800w amp this week.

Also I have some other issues maybe? When I sit idle with my car on my dome lights and a slight flicker to them and if i rev the engine a bit it seems to stop it, and also when I'm idle and put up a window the lights will dim. Also I noticed when I turn my steering wheel when stopped (not good i know) that my headlights will dim when i point it on my garage. I always thought that power steering didn't take electricity? Sorry if these are just noob questions =P
You need a power cap bro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts