Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
You're gonna love the subs.
If you want to have it be an all Kicker system then I would recommend the Kicker ZX500.1.
Other wise I would check out the Rockford Fosgate T500.1BD which is a quality amp and outputs the perfect amount of power if you bought the 2ohm or 4ohm version of the sub.

If you're on a budget but still want a good amp then the Kicker ZX400.1 would be a good match or the Pioneer GM-D7500M would be a good fit for that setup.

The RMS wattage for each sub is 200w, so a solid 400w RMS amp would give you a little room for play so you don't have to turn the gain up too high if you don't have an aftermarket radio. Since all the Kicker and Fosgate amps do more than their rated power you'll have flexibility on how hard you want to push them.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just out of sheer curiosity.. why would you go for two 8 inch woofers instead of one large subwoofer? One 12 inch subwoofer has more than twice the cone area of 8" woofer and will fit neatly in the trunk in a right type of box. The only idea that occurs to me is to hang 8 inch subs off the rear deck and run them in free air mode, replacing the rear speakers, if trunk saving space is critical. But an appropriate 12" inch subwoofer can work very well in a 1 to 1.5 ft^3 sealed box which does not really take that much space. If you want to get fancy, you could fit a dual 10" or even 12" sub box.. Recently I have been researching if a nice sub system could be built with this box.. (fits perfectly in the back of Taurus sedan trunk, but volume is kind of small for most 12inch subs):

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7572_Sonic-Sub-Box-2SL12-1.5-Gray.html

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Try to match the RMS wattage with the subs. Another crucial thing you did not mention is the ohm rating.. and how many voice coils your subs have. Subwoofers exist with single 2 ohm, 4 ohm, and 8 ohm voice coils and also with dual 4 ohm voice coils. You can also change impedance by wiring in parallel or in series. In general you want your amp to be compatible with the sub wiring you have in mind.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Get DVC 4ohm speakers, run coils in series and speakers in parallel. Get a KX500.1 to leave you some headroom.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just out of sheer curiosity.. why would you go for two 8 inch woofers instead of one large subwoofer? One 12 inch subwoofer has more than twice the cone area of 8" woofer and will fit neatly in the trunk in a right type of box
The reason for me that first comes to mind is first, the weight of it will be light, makes it easy to move in and out if need be; second, the flexibility in the types of boxes is a huge advantage over 12's, but since the trunk of a taurus could fit 5 fat guys in it I guess space doesn't matter too much. Also, why not catch people off guard after they hear your system when they ask what they have in your trunk and surprise them with two 8's!? Kinda the reason why I love my single 10", then again it's an RE Audio sub, so it's expected lol.

Get DVC 4ohm speakers, run coils in series and speakers in parallel. Get a KX500.1 to leave you some headroom.
Question, do you know what the difference is between the KX and ZX amp series? Spec-wise they look the same, but I've only used the ZX series before, but I don't think the KX is any different besides design.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
The KX series used internal fans (in the larger models I believe- mine has one), the ZX is a newer model, therefore more expensive, and slightly prettier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts