Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'd like to thank American Motorsport for the time he spend custom programming my car. He does a great job and really knows his stuff.

Anyway, we found that a chip, or at least the particular chip we had, wouldn't work in my car. We kept getting the revs all over the place while at idle and eventually it would stall out. The thieft light would come on now and then as well.

We ended up just flashing the PCM (yes, he can do that) to add the new code. He has done shift point optimization, spark table optimization, some work on the torque converter lockup speeds and some other cool stuff. I think he's probably spent more time and tuned more aspects then some of the more off the shelf type programmers.

We did some testing.. I have a very solid pull till fourth gear (100 MPH). Then I still have pull in forth (about the same pull I had near the end of third before) and it'll last till about 110 or so. Today I took it to about 116 or 117. Need some more open road to get it peged, but I think it'll do it.

I'm very happy with the job and reccomend American Motorsports to anyone else in the market for custom tuning.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Make sure he saves the code. All you need is Ford to go and reflash you PCM when they find a "corrupt database" and you're owned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Jan 24 2004, 04:02 PM
Make sure he saves the code. All you need is Ford to go and reflash you PCM when they find a "corrupt database" and you're owned.
actually he said he fixed that too.

I can't wait to get mine done

Maybe next weekend?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This guy is located in Arlington, VA, however you can also ship him your PCM if you want it flashed and he'll do it and ship it back, or you can get a chip from him. Both cost the same. You can buy form him now if you want, or you can wait till he's a TCCA sponsored store. If we get serveral people interested, he is also open to a group buy from us.

His website:

AmericanMotorsport.com

If you type it... remember it's "American Motorsport" not "American Motorsports"... You'll get the wrong website if you add the "s".

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He doesn't sell Diablo, he sells SCT and weather you get the PCM flashed or get a chip it's the same price. $325 if I recall. I think it's listed on his website. Hardware wise, it's similar to buying a diablo chip, but as you can see, it isn't really the hardware you're paying for, but the programming. Some programmers are better then others. Just to give you an idea. He's got a V6 mustang with a supercharger that runs 12's on racing slicks.. 13's on street tires. He did his own tuning. He also has a hand in turning that mustang on 2F2F (yes, the one that got ran over).

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to report my car saw 120 today...

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by mikehawk+Jan 25 2004, 09:20 PM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Jan 25 2004, 09:20 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-dant98
@Jan 25 2004, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to report my car saw 120 today...

-Dan
welcome to the club
[/b]
Hehe.. i just added "member of the 120 club" to my sig..

Alberto, once I hit 110, I really didn't have much pull left. It was kinda more like I just needed enough flat road to hit 120. Anything I can do to help that out, or are we talking dropping 8K on a custom turbo or supercharger setup?

-Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
It depends on what your goal is and how much you want to spend. I am not quite sure what is available for your cars in terms of mechanical mods, but clearly short of going forced induction, you could get (if available) other airflow mods such as heads or cams and what not.

You've already done the one "bolt on" that yields the best performance for the money in the affordable range, namely the custom flash.

You could ultimately do stuff like get an o/r pipe and what not, but you would move your tq up in the RPM range, which translates into a loss of low end.

However, your car seems to have a lot of pull for an N/A stockish Taurus...it pulls deep into 4th gear now as you noted. Now you can peg your speedo

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The aftermarket for the Taurus is for the most part a joke engine performance wise. Slowly some stuff is beginning to emerge, but mostly everything has to be custom fabed. Some engine components might be available for the 2.5 'tec for Contour and Cougar owners, but the intake stuff would be different since the intake maniforl is a bit different in these cars. I have heard that there are some reletivly rare STV cams available that were ment for the 2.5. Don't know about heads.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com@Jan 26 2004, 07:30 PM
You could always spray it.
If only it was legal on the street. =)

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maryland law states that the bottle must be closed while on the street as far as I know. You can have the system installed, but it must have the bottle shut. I suppose this doesn't mean one can't have a remote opener on the bottle...

-Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Jan 26 2004, 10:51 PM
Maryland law states that the bottle must be closed while on the street as far as I know. You can have the system installed, but it must have the bottle shut. I suppose this doesn't mean one can't have a remote opener on the bottle...

-Dan
Alittle off topic but you should look again. Maryland law probably says you aren't allowed to transport N2O at all with out a license because it is a controlled product. And I would think for sure that it would be illegal in the D.C. area to have a bottle in the trunk these days.

I may have to drive my Canadian butt down to you guys this summer and get the custom tuning I want.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Patrick Norris+Jan 27 2004, 07:57 AM-->QUOTE (Patrick Norris @ Jan 27 2004, 07:57 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-dant98
@Jan 26 2004, 10:51 PM
Maryland law states that the bottle must be closed while on the street as far as I know.  You can have the system installed, but it must have the bottle shut.  I suppose this doesn't mean one can't have a remote opener on the bottle...

-Dan
Alittle off topic but you should look again. Maryland law probably says you aren't allowed to transport N2O at all with out a license because it is a controlled product. And I would think for sure that it would be illegal in the D.C. area to have a bottle in the trunk these days.

I may have to drive my Canadian butt down to you guys this summer and get the custom tuning I want. [/b]
I regress:

http://www.lawforkids.org/QA/Driving/Driving84.cfm

So according to the poster here, in Maryland you can have N2O for automotive applications in your car as long as the bottle isn't hooked up.

I would like to find the official rule though, should it have changed since this was posted.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 50 Posts